Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

Neal, I have a 2011 Kia Optima EX. The other day I went to

Customer Question

HI Neal,
I have a 2011 Kia Optima EX. The other day I went to start the car and while driving, I noticed that some of the controls on my steering wheel stopped working. Cruise control (none of the controls), Trip Button, Reset Button. The phone and radio buttons all worked. I pulled each fuse to verify they were ok (they were) and disconnected the battery.
Now, the driver-side airbag light will not go off and the cruise control, trip and reset buttons will work sporatically.
Just yesterday, I had an issue where the cruise control would turn on, but when i toggled the set button, it would turn the cruise off. and when I would press the cancel button, it would set the cruise! Now i am back to having it work sporatically where all buttons function as they are supposed to.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question.
Based upon the symptoms listed, there is either a short in the wiring harness inside the steering column, specifically, near where it passes thru the steering wheel to steering wheel controls and SIR coil, or the SIR coil is defective.