Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various automobiles at a dealer and independently.
14928985

I have a 2013 Kia Optima that also has an intermittent

Customer Question

I have a 2013 Kia Optima that also has an intermittent starting problem. If I leave it for several hours and try to start it again, it will start. The problem is the insecurity of not knowing if and when it will start again. I spoke with the dealer where I purchased the car, and the service rep said he couldn't help me unless it was disabled again. Right now it's at a garage where they say it has started. Can you help me? I work thirty miles away each day and need to have assurance I will be able to get to work each day.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this here.I need a little more info to help as best as possible.

When the no start occurs does the engine crank over with the starter at all or is the starter not engaging?

Let me know,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, the engine does not crank over. There is no sound but the disable light comes on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you think there might be interference from my iPhone?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,this sounds like your vehicles security system is engaging causing the no start.Most common is the key or immobilized that reads the key itself at fault.This can act up intermittently like this here.

If the shop did not check fault codes in all computers to needs done but needs done using a scan tool that can plug in and communicate with all computers in your vehicle.There should be at least one code set that will help diagnose and locate the fault.The trouble with this type of issue here is in some cases it cannot be tested/diagnosed properly unless it is acting up.In this case what I have asked customers to do is to leave the vehicle at the shop for a few days if possible so the dealer can try starting the vehicle off and on until it acts up again.Then from there they can diagnose the issue when it occurs.

I suspect this will be the key or immobilized that reads the key needing replaced.I don't see this as your phone causing this fault here.

Thanks Pete