Cardoctor71
Cardoctor71, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Technician
36867192

05 KIA Sadona, When shifting into reverse you can feel it t

Customer Question

05 KIA Sadona, When shifting into reverse you can feel it hit in, but will not move car. Low gear works fine as does all other forward gears. Driver had hit a curb going forward hard enough to blow a tire, Reverse was gone after that. relation?
Category: Kia
Expert:  Cardoctor71 replied 1 year ago.

There are delicate plastic seal rings inside the transmission that possibly when the customer hit the curb, it broke one of them, when they break, transmission pressure drops out and vehicle will not move , transmission will have to be rebuilt.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The car drives normally in all forward gears, she was going forward when she hit the curb, The car has had about 100 miles on it since the incident, just no reverse.

This indicates the sealing ring is for the reverse only, in the transmission, this is common ,rarely does this type situation affect fwd gears and reverse. Please rate my service above a 3 ,if for some reason you can not, Please ask me another question, i will continue to answer your questions after rating is given until you are completely satisfied with my answers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry but am disapointed with your answer. I have helped many people with their cars over the years, and a few have had simulair curb incidents and this is the first time we lost a gear.
The O ring seals will usually last longer then the clutches as long as they have lubrication..
I am not referring to o ring seals I am referring to Teflon seals which are on each gears clutch piston internal in the transmission, stranger things have occurred in my 36 + years as a technician on anything from a Chevy to a Mercedes. These seals are so brittle in a Kia product if you drop one on the floor it will shatter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your help. Though I did not get what I was hoping for for an answer, I did talk to a transmission tech, who mentioned a shear pin in the reverse counter shaft, that may not require dropping the trans. The car has high millage 296K though in great shape, is not worth the cost of rebuilding the trans.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Cardoctor71, I rated you a three so you could be paid even though I was not satisfied. I called a local transmission shop who was a lot more help. I know how hard it is trying to guess what I was trying to convey. The big thing is the cost, first they said 18 dollars to call, then later it was 100. and the website seemed more interested in taking my money then trying to help me. Thank you for your effort, but JustAnswer took out the 48 dollars I agreed to, you will need to contact them.

please rate my service,a 3 or above, if for some reason you can not, please ask me another question, I am here for you until my answers satisfy you.