K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Asian Import Specialist, AA in automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade
68360881

I just exited the ghway and all of a sudden I lost power.

Customer Question

I just exited the highway and all of a sudden I lost power. Lights dimmed and engine appeared to be shutting off. Was able to keep it running but it had low power and it was clicking very badly. I drove it very slowly for another 4 or 5 miles to my home but it is still making a terrible clicking sound in rhythm with the engine speed. What could have happened?
Category: Kia
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.

Hello, how many miles are on this and whenn did you last have the timing belt changed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
133,360 miles. Bought it used with 65,000 miles never changed timing belt.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey K. Wiggins, you there?
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** sounds like the timing belt has worn and slipped. This will result in what you describe. The recommended replacement interval for the belt is every 60,000 miles.

If this is not something you plan to fix yourself I suggest having it towed to the repair shop as driving it anymore may cause further damage.

It's a 50/50 chance on just replacing the belt fixing it or the valves being damaged.

Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.

I hate to be the bearer of this news but I have seen it many, many times over the years.