3pac2222
3pac2222, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ase master certified
6166830

Had ABS and ESC lights go on after replacing both front hub

Customer Question

Had ABS and ESC lights go on after replacing both front hub assemblies. Found that front driver ABS sensor was shot (failed mutlimeter testing, passenger passed fine). Replaced ABS sensor on front driver, cleared the error code on computer, but ABS and ESC lights won't go off (no cruise still either). Computer doesn't see any further problem. Checked the fuses in the cabin, no problems.
What else might be going on?
Category: Kia
Expert:  3pac2222 replied 1 year ago.

hi can you monitor the abs sensors with your scan tool

Expert:  3pac2222 replied 1 year ago.

you may have got a hub that do i snot for a car with abs / wrong part ??

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately I can't monitor the ABS sensors with the tools I have. I know the ABS sensor works with the CV axle (the sensor sits just above the serated magnetic ring) but I don't see anything that would involve the wheel hubs. There is no connection wire to the hubs and when I bought the part there was no option for ABS vs non-ABS since all 2006 Kia Sedona have ABS. Is there something I don't understand here?
Expert:  3pac2222 replied 1 year ago.

did you have to remove the sensor

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did not need to remove the sensor to replace the wheel hub assembly. However, I did remove both sensors to test them with a multi-meter. Since then I have replaced the bad ABS sensor (it failed both a continuity test and resistance test) since then.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If it helps this is the exact hub assembly I ordered.http://www.am-autoparts.com/Kia/Sedona/front-wheel-bearings-and-hubs/AM-96627041/554871.htmlThe website says it is a direct replacement for the OEM part.
Expert:  3pac2222 replied 1 year ago.

what are the codes that your getting

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
P0501 Generic Vehicle Speed Sensor A Range/Performance
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That was the code that I was getting, but no longer get that code now that the ABS sensor has been replaced, but the ABS light and ESC light are still lit...even after clearing the error code from the computer.
Expert:  3pac2222 replied 1 year ago.

did you drive the car

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have taken it out for a couple trips. One on local streets and a 5 mile trip on the interstate. I was hoping the data received from the new sensor would clear up the problem.
Expert:  3pac2222 replied 1 year ago.

ok try this disconnect t the battery cable both of them then after you have remove them from the battery hold them touching each other for one minute then reconnect and see what happen

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK just to confirm, remove the positive and negative battery cables, hold them touching each other (like I would discharge a static buildup) for one minute, then reconnect the battery cables and see if that clears up the problem?
Expert:  3pac2222 replied 1 year ago.

correct

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I'll be back in a few
Expert:  3pac2222 replied 1 year ago.

ok

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No change. I'm going to put this problem on hold for now. I have to leave in the morning for a*****and I don't have time to mess with this any longer tonight. I will be out of town until Thursday of next week. Can we pick this up again then?
Expert:  3pac2222 replied 1 year ago.

ok