George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Hyundai Certified and 15+ years as an ASE Maser Tech
13574682

04 amanti p0401, showed up w/ crumbly broken missing vac

Customer Question

04 amanti p0401, showed up w/ crumbly broken missing vac hoses, replaced per diagram. start engine ran poor, egr on @ idle. found inop solenoid, replaced same prob. solenoid passes vac when NOT energized? bassackwards design.
Reversing hoses on TB ports system works(energized sol, valve opens+ chokes engine @ idle) still throws code
Ed @ Keyautomotivepa
Category: Kia
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

The diagram that KIA shows is pretty hard to read. Do you only have that one or does the one here from Hyundai (click here) look the same as your engine. It should be as Hyundai was running KIA in '04.

Let me know if that matches what you are seeing. If it does we can work on the code.

The vacuum from the throttle body should be present at the top of the solenoid at all times the engine is running, if you suck on the the port on the top is should not be open when it is unplugged.

Let me know if the routing of the diagram matches what you have

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
your diagam is different. neither VECI label underhood nor ALLDATA (3 views) show the part with 2 hoses,one from port on TB, other to 3 way tee! Vac switching valve?
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

Pictures of what you have?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry bout delay working on 3 other cars + scanner inop had to kludge with diagrams to send you
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

Those are the KIA diagrams, so I have seen those, I was not clear though and was hoping you had a couple of picture of the manifold and the solenoid/throttle body?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
vehicle not here @ this time. I do find very interesting the extra part I mentioned in the Hyundai diagram that would make more sense. The three way tee near the solenoid was originally missing, I put in a regular tee but result was egr flow at idle, so I thought it was a check valve and got one from KIA. It's not, just a vac tee with a restriction to one port, so it didnt change anything
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, that transducer also acts a delay, with crumbly lines no telling what was done before you got here.

Hyundai and KIA are very light on information in the service on this system so much that Hyundai made it part of training to get the info out. click here

I am going to look through a couple of years here and see what I can find that shows the parts of the system. In the Hyundai setup you pinched the green stripe hose which was a bleed off. Close that bleed and the valve would open and if the idle stumbled hard you know the vacuum part was working.

Give me a couple of minutes to check

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Closing up shop now, thanx for the help. When car returns, I'll get pics underhood, will this thread be here when log back in, if not ,another way(email?) 2 reach you?
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

This thread is always open for you to post to so I will watch for your post when you get a chance to check it out.

Did you see the correction to the manual where the solenoid is open with no power and closed with power?

The solenoid allows vacuum to bleed back to the intake until it is activated then the vacuum is strong enough to open the valve, open the solenoid and the vacuum to the valve is not strong. Kinda backwards but that is why you pinch the green hose the valve opens, you are doing the job of the solenoid.

Let me know how I can help

Thank you