Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years as an automotive tech
7276279

I have a 2006 Kia Rio. It died, and we had to jump it. The

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Kia Rio. It died, and we had to jump it. The person at Autozone said they tested it, and "the battery is too dead to test, so it's got to be the battery", and sold my daughter a battery. BUT, if it were too dead because it had just died due
to something like an alternator, I'd think you'd have to charge the battery, THEN test it. but they didn't and now, 3 weeks later, the battery is DEAD. So maybe I suspect the alternator? How do I test the alternator/battery to see what's wrong? Any idea what
it could be besides battery or anternator? If I do need to replace the alternator, it appears it'd beneath the Power Steering pump. how do I get it out?
Category: Kia
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
Normal testing of the battery need to be done after it has been charged to get an accurate reading. To test the alternator you need to hook a volt meter to the battery with the engine running, normal charging voltage on a properly working alternator should be right at 14 volts. Before you consider replacing anything let start with checking to see if its charging. Let me know and we can work from there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ron,Thanks for checking in. A further development happened. I looked at the belt when it was sitting in the driveyway and they looked fine, and it appeared to be charging (about 18 volts on he VM with it running, and about 16 volts on the battery with the car turned off).The next day the car threw a belt off. So maybe it was a belt?Anyway, what all do I have to take off and do to change the belt? I've changed many belts over the years, so I'm good with doing it. I just want to know if there's any special trick on the 2006 Kia Rio, and what all I have to remove to get to the belts easiest.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Normal charging voltage at the battery with the engine running should not exceed 14 volts, if your volt meter is working properly then the alternator is over charging.

See the belt replacement steps in the link below, once the belt is replaced recheck your charging voltage.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Drive%20belt%20Aug%205.pdf