Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Kia Sportage LX: I have a 2005 Kia Sportage LX. It has been

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Kia Sportage LX. It has been in the shop 5 times in the last two years for the blower motor. Each time the blower motor has been replaced. The last time it was In the shop for three weeks. My local mechanic said he ran down all the wiring to make sure that was not the problem. Each time I pick my car up the blower motor will work for several months and then quit working again. I can drive it for a few weeks and it may or may not come back on. I can hear the compressor kicking in so that's not the problem. When it goes out, it will not work on any speed (low or high). Could it be the resistor maybe? What else can I check?
Category: Kia
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved. A resistor would only effect one speed. There is nothing that should cause the blower motor to burn out fast, blower motor has burned out 5 times within the last 2 years?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes It crazy. What confuses me is it will come back on eventually all by itself, or I take it back to the Mechanic that has worked on it each time. I think he is just as frustrated as I am. I'm pretty sure he isn't replacing the blower motor each time but somehow he gets it to come back on. I think one time he unhooked it and the hooked it back up and it come rite back on in a matter of 15 min.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
The blower motor switch is the most common component to fail on these vehicles which will cause this symptom. During problem, At the blower motor connector, back probe and ground the Yellow wire with the key on and verify that the blower motor works on high speed. If the blower motor works, then locate the blower switch connector and ground the Blue wire, then the blower should work on high speed. If it does, verify that the Black wire has a good ground and then replace the blower switch. Let me know how it goes or if you have more questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where is the blower motor switch located?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
It is the switch in dash that you turn to turn on blower motor. I'd also consider bringing vehicle to a different mechanic for electrical problems, this shouldn't have been too hard to figure out. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry Dan I had a blonde moment ;) The switch is in the dash. LOL Thank you for your help!
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
No problem, let me know how it turns out or if you run into more questions. Thanks again and have a great day!