Kiatech
Kiatech, Kia Master Technician
Experience:  30+ years experience,ASE certified,KIA certified Master Technician,Ford factory trained
32162675

Kia 2008 sorento the power cell phones etc...

Customer Question

kia 2008 sorento the power for chARging cell phones etc... all 3 do not work. change fuse 15 amp on engine fuse box and keeps blowing
Category: Kia
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
Hello I will help you with your question,
If the fuse keeps blowing either you have an adapter that is damaged and is shorting the socket or there is something like a penny in the socket that shorts it.
Does the fuse blow right away?
Do you have power at all the sockets once you replace the fuse?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When fuse was replaced it sparks right away. when undoing battery and replacing fuse as soon as you put cable back on battery fuse blows right away. Also when I make a left turn while driving the right passenger door starts dinging, the light overhead comes on and the light on daSH says right passenger door ajar. door is shut tight and the lock and latch has been replaced but keeps doing it. I was thinking all of this was related.
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
Can we keep this to the power outlets? If we can it sounds like you have a dead short for the outlet. You need to check the outlets for foriegn objects then unplug them and see if the fuse still blows right away. If it does there is a short in the wiring between the fuse and the outlet. For that you need a headlamp bulb with jumper leads on it to install in place of the fuse. The bulb will be lit as long as the short is present. If you have anything plugged into the outlets when you install the fuse remove them. Let me know what I can do to help once you check the outlets. There are three fuses involved for the outlets but it sounds like you are working with the correct one that feeds power to all three outlets. The lighter has another circuit. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I figure there may be a wire not grounded. Where could this be? I know the circut that blew I watch it blow so I know the lamp would light up. These circuits were all working. I do not know what happened. However the door ajar problem has been going on for a few months. I was willing to pay $20.00 for this and no more. I thank you for your advice. I am not satisfied with the answer because the fuse blowing problem I have figured out when I asked the question and did not have to check with bulb as I was watching it blow. Needed to know what to do next? I don't have things plugged in and my door is securely latched when it says it isn't.
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
A wire not grounded would not blow a fuse. A wire grounded will blow a fuse and is called a short circuit because it went to ground short of the load you want to run (outlet). If you have a damaged adapter it will blow a fuse in an instant or if you have something stuck in one of the outlets. Have you checked this? So after our back and forth you now have found the fuse issue? What was it?