EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Technician
Experience:  Kia Professional Elite, ASE A1-A9 L1 L2 Certified. 20 years dealer experience.
34559540

Kia Spectra5: Just saw your posting, 2006 kia spectra5

Customer Question

Just saw your posting, for the 2006 kia spectra5 blower not blowing, I have a 2007 kia spectra5 2.0L but my blower resistor only has 3-terminals and I need to check the resistance ranges can you help??
Category: Kia
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
The resistor on your Spectra should have 4 wires. I have the testing procedure for the resistor. But you need to double check you are on the right component.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nope... that's what google searches keep saying and showing. Mine looks exactly the same put only has three terminals and the plug only has three wires (dark green, black, and red)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also the heatsink on the resistor only has 5-fins.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also when I check on Autozone they sale a 3-terminal blower resistor. Any ideas???
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you going to be able to answer my question?
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I think I found the confusion. In late 2008 Kia switched from a traditional 4 terminal resistor to a 3 wire electronic resistor. The manual gives the resistance check for a traditional blower resistor. There is not a resistance check for yours because it is an electronic resistor. You can not ohm it. Yours does not have a traditional resistor. Yours is a 3 wire electronic resistor with transistors inside. Resistance checks do not apply.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
First make sure the fuse blower (30amp) in the engine fuse box is good. And also make sure the fuse a/con (10amp) in the interior fuse panel is good. What you need to do is to check for power and ground at the resistor as opposed to its resistance. With resistor disconnected and key on you should have power at the Red wire. With the key off you should have ground on the black wire.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
also through this website I can offer you the wiring diagram in PDF format if that is something you are interested in. Let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok great that's what I figured. I went ahead and checked the power and ground and everything checks out. It's most likely worn brushes in my blower motor. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome. Let me know if you have any more questions and please rate my service. Have a good day! Thank you.