Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Kia Sorento LX: erradic shifting on 2006 kia sorento

Customer Question

erradic shifting on 2006 kia sorento
Category: Kia
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.
Can you go into more detail?Does this happen with the engine cold and hot?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when the engine is hot, it was always in first or second gear before they flashed the computer it appears like a sensor is over heating causing the problem it does not do this all the time. but the hotter the temp is the more it happens the first time they flashed the computer it stopped for a few weeks this time it did not help .if you need more information I will provide. I was a mechanic by trade on heavy equipment but I am unable to find this problem, hope you can help.
So the concern is in 1st and 2nd and I assume you mean the 1-2 shift. Is it shifting late or harsh or going back and forth ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry about my response time I have been out of pocket family sickness .the car tries to change out of first gear before it gets to a place it will pull in second it bumps second then stays in first it acts like the pressure or the gear setting is not right for it to stay in first gear long enough, it only does this when it is hot outside. hope this will help. if you want to call me my number is (xxx)xxx-xxxx.
I believe this is the pressure switch 5 or direct clutch solenoid being effected by the temp and not operating correct causing the 1-2 shift issues.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I went to the kia dealer to ask about the parts by looking at the picture they had the parts person did not know what pressure switch 5 was or the clutch solenoid is this in the transmission valve body or external can you be more pacific . us shade tree mechanics need it spelled out . the parts man said he could fax something from a page if it will help us understand better.
I do not believe I am going to be able to explain to you how transmission work or how to perform these type repairs. I think its best I let another try. This is something that needs to be done face to face.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that will be fine I will pay the $18 dollars for a phone call(###) ###-####if you would prefere