George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Hyundai Certified and 15+ years as an ASE Maser Tech
13574682

Kia Amanti: Can't get the timing marks to stay aligned while

Customer Question

Can't get the timing marks to stay aligned while torquing the tensioner
Category: Kia
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
Hello I will help you with your question, Did you retract the pin on the tensioner and hold it with a cross pin? The timing marks should be set as you slightly turn the crank bolt clockwise to gather all the slack on the tensioner side of the belt as you lift the tensioner arm with your finger. Once all the slack is there you should be able to slip the tensioner into place and install the bolts, remove the cross pin and allow the tensioner pin to extend. Once you are at that point you turn the crank through two revolutions back to its mark and recheck that the cams are on their marks. Let me know where you are having trouble with this procedure Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The tensioner needs to be torqued before you release the auto tensioner
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
Is this the setup you are working on?
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26725849/tens.pdf
Copy and paste that link into a new browser tab and let me know if we are on the same page.
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes that is
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
OK, the tensioner arm is installed before the belt is installed to the engine. You torque it down and it should move freely on the piviot bolt. The pulley should be installed to the arm before the arm is installed to the engine. if you install the belt with a little lead on the marks you can use the crank bolt to turn the pulleys slightly and get all the slack at the tensioner and lifting the arm while you turn the crank gives you enough space to slip the tensioner into place and tighten the two bolts. Click here That video has a pretty good explanation of how you set the pulley once you have the arm installed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That video didn tell me anything except I need to lock the cams together before I take the belt off
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry you are having a hard time with this, I am going to OPT OUT of your question and maybe one of the other experts will have the answer you are seeking.
Sorry I was of no help
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It doesn't say anything about that in the book