George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Hyundai Certified and 15+ years as an ASE Maser Tech
13574682

I have a 2010 Kia Optima and the trunk will not latch

Customer Question

Category: Kia
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
Hello I will help you with your question, Does it feel like the latch is already closed and hitting the lock bar as you close the lid? Look where the latch closes and see a bar there then look at the latch and see if there is an opening for that bar to slide into when you close the lid. Let me know what you see Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am actually not with the car right now. Last night when I was trying to see it ( as far as I could) it appears that the little latch on the top just doesn't quite go around the bar at the bottom
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
If the latch is open then look to see if the trunk lid is closing down all the way, the hinges have a place to swing and that nothing is stuck in the latch obstructing the movement.
Let me know when you are able to check it out. I am here most of the time so if you post back to this thread I will be notified.
Let me know what you find so I can help
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So sorry I haven't gotten back with you sooner . I have checked the car and nothing appears to be off except for the fact the lock doesn't seem to be completing closing around the metal piece attached to the trunk
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
OK, can you get a picture of the latch, it sounds like there is nothing physically wrong you just need to reset the larch.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I took two of top and two of bottom part
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
Look at the hole in the first picture, slip a screwdriver or a strong pen in the hole and pull down as you work the latch release. The arm should open and the latch work normally after that.
Let me know what happens
Great pictures,
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried numerous times and it's still not working
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
Do you hear the latch trying to operate when you trigger it? Do you feel any movement in the latch while you are holding pressure on it and triggering the latch? Are you sure of the hole I am asking you to insert the screwdriver tip? How hard did you slam the trunk?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I actually was able to get the latch to close. I had done this before. It pops into place. I have slammed the trunk really hard. I even at one point sat on it , think that it needed more pressure to make the contact . I am very frustrated with it and it seems like I am going to have no choice but to take to a mechanic ( again!)
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
You could just get another latch from KIA and change it. It is not hard.
If you slammed it then it is probably bent and will need to be replaced, I can help you do that if you like?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, sure! Tell me where to get. I am not afraid of getting my hands dirty. It looks like the top part is the only problem area.
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
The trim is held with retainers, pull those and the trim comes off then you have the connector and rod on the latch to disconnect. Two bolts and the latch comes off. Before you loosen it scribe the location, it pretty much bolts in place and locates itself but it is nice to have a starting point if adjustments need to be made.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26725849/latch.pdf
Copy and paste that link into a new browser tab and let me know what questions you have
812302G501 is the KIA part number.
Let me know how I can help
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am going to try this , this evening. Just opening it up. Do you think it is possible that something is simply disconnected? I looked on ebay for the replacement part and they aren't too bad, but they range from 40-70 dollars.
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
I don't think it is disconnected, you may need to bend the lever that closes around the bar in the floor on the latch. That is probably what is bent. If it bent once it will bend again so replacing the latch is the best course.
Please let me know how I can help you with this
Thank you