EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Technician
Experience:  Kia Professional Elite, ASE A1-A9 L1 L2 Certified. 20 years dealer experience.
34559540

Kia Soul: My Kia Soul 2011 standard, started starting a little

Customer Question

My Kia Soul 2011 standard, started starting a little rough, then while driving it would loose power for a second. Then the RPM's went to 0, but would still drive. The RPM's would not move even though the car was driving. When I stopped and turned it off, it would not start again. Later the garage started it and couldn't find a problem. Then it happened again. Any ideas?
Category: Kia
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Did the shop check for any codes in the computer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, they let it run for an hour an half then drove it for a short ride and then told me they didn't see anything wrong. I think when it really warms up from driving it, then it gets worse. But yesterday I drove 5 minutes, made 2 stops within 10 minutes, then drove 10 minutes on the highway and the engine lost power for a sec then the RPM's were gone. I drove a mile then parked it and it wouldn't restart.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
Ok. The absolute most common cause of no RPM signal and then a no start is the crankshaft position sensor. The crank sensor is what reads the rpms and translates them to the instrument cluster. The crank sensor is also needed for the vehicle to start. Usually a crank sensor that is failing will set a code in the engines computer. The check engine light does not have to be on for a code to be set.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
I would recommend they check for codes and then if no problems can be identified, they should replace the crank sensor. That would be a great starting point.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much! I'll be in touch
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
Ok. SOunds good. Have a great day.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You too. :-)
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
Do you have any more questions? Thank you and please remember to rate the service provided.