Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Kia Soul: Chris, I have a 2012 Kia Soul with a 1.6L GDI

Customer Question

Hi Chris,
I have a 2012 Kia Soul with a 1.6L GDI engine, automatic transmission. I bought the vehicle new and over the years a pinging problem has slowly and progressively got worse.
Most of my driving is highway miles. I normally run at 55 MPH on the highway. I use the cruise control whenever possible. I drive about 300 to 500 hundred miles a week. I get between 37 and 39 MPG at highway speed when I maintain 55 MPH. I was using 87 octane fuel up until this summer.
The pinging problem develops in hot weather (85 and above). The problem is not there in cold weather. It does not ping when I accelerate from a standstill but if I have to go up an incline it will start to ping. If I back off the accelerator the ping disappears and I can still accelerate, only at a slower rate.
This summer it has got to the point that I have to use 92 octane fuel to stop almost all of the pinging. I can still make it ping if I accelerate too fast.
I have tried down shifting but that does not help. It still pings but only at a higher RPM.
I have tried running with the ECO active and not active but that makes no difference at all.
I have tried engine additives (like Seafoam) but that has not helped.
Research led me to think it may be the IAT sensor. I was going to try and test it but from what I read, it is integrated into the throttle body assembly. If that is true then I won’t be able to test it.
If there is anything you can suggest that I might be able to do to further isolate the cause of the ping I would appreciate it. If you think I need to take it to a specialist to have them check it, who would, you suggest that would provide an honest evaluation?
Sorry this is so long but I wanted to provide you with as much information as possible.
Thank you,
Don Bruce
Category: Kia
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry for the delay in getting a response to you. Sometimes we get alot of customers and just can not keep up. Sometimes you just have to wait for the correct tech to login.Do you even still need help. Sometimes customers seek help elsewhere or figure it out on their own before we get to each and everyone.I am sure I can help a lot or a little at least something if you give me a chance and work with me. I am going to get an answer to you regardless if you reply or not sooner or later.If your concern is urgent reply and let me know and if you have anything more you think will help me, to help you, let me know. I work on here normally 3pm-3am central. Thanks Chris
My suggestion is to drain and flush the coolant while replacing the thermostat and cleaning the AC condenser and radiator fins. Perform a tune up if the wrong plugs are in it or if there older than 70k. Double up on some good fuel injector cleaner in the fuel tank, clean the throttle body and fog the intake following the steps on the seafoam website. You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.Thanks Chris