Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various automobiles at a dealer and independently.
14928985

Kia Rio5 LX: , I have a Rio5 2010 and last week, I tried

Customer Question

Hi, I have a Rio5 2010 and last week, I tried to change the interior trunk lamp bulb that was working well for years by a LED type. It worked fine for 20 seconds and I unmounted it to make room for proper re-installement of the whole lamp in the trim. When I replugged the LED bulb n the socket, I heard a sparking sound coming from the interior front of the car and the LED bulb stopped working....as well as all my interior illumination, clock and also my keyless security lock/unlock remote system. I read somewhere about a faulty diode in some other Kia models and years and it sounds a possible issue for me but where is it located? I tried to look around the interior fuse panel but can't find this so called diode, it that is the right culprit. Could you help me figured that problem out, and why it happened? EDIT: I know that a LED could not work sometimes when the polarity is not respected but it is suppose to start working when you invert them. Both old halogen lamp and LED lamp are still working in outside tests. All possible fuses Inside and outside the car have also been tested ok.

Thanks, ***** ***** Québec, Canada

Category: Kia
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
Looking at the diagram info on your model (as seen in the link below if copied and pasted to another web page or web tab) your trunk light is fed ground from the BCM (body control module/computer).The power source for the trunk light is fed from fuse MULTIB/UP which is a 10 amp fuse in the interior fuse panel.
If the fuse is good most likely the ground was shorted which in turn shorted out the BCM internally which will cause all of the issues you see here now as the BCM controls and monitors all of these.
The BCM will need replaced and programmed by a dealer to correct this fault here.I don't see a diode on your model in this circuit.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ozlg41mva8pz3yv/trunk-06-22.gif?dl=0
Thanks Pete
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Please, Give me some time to find a BCM on the right car for doing the swap. Since this does not affect the driving of the car, I will have to look for a part at the three car yard around me that could possibly have one to pull from by myself (to save $$). I will try it as is, maybe this will work without re-programming. I am lokking for a car with the exact same options. Thank you for your advice, but for now I have to try to fix it the way you told me to and see if it works.

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
O.k.,let me know how this turns out here and if you need anything else.
Thanks Pete