Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various automobiles at a dealer and independently.
14928985

Kia Soul: I have a new 2015 Kia Soul, and on the keyless entry

Customer Question

I have a new 2015 Kia Soul, and on the keyless entry fob, when i press and hold the trunk release button for a few seconds until the taillights flash, not only does it unlock the trunk, but also sets off the alarm. This will only trigger the alarm if the vehicles is locked, if it is already unlocked and I press and hold the trunk release, the taillights will flash but no alarm. Have tried it with both of the fobs and get the same results, is something wrong, or is this the way the system is supposed to work.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
From what you have described here it sounds like the trunk lock position sensor is faulty sending a signal that the trunk is still locked to the computer when in fact it is unlocked.Then when the trunk opens the computer thinks it is being broken into and is setting off the alarm.I have seen these sensors fail before and had to replace them or in some cases the latches as sometimes the sensors are built into the latches.
Being a 2015 model this should be covered under warranty at no cost to you for a dealer to diagnose and repair the fault here.I would have a dealer look into the issue here and correct it as needed.
Thanks Pete