Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer BEng Hons22 years experience in car engine industry, 10 years in formula 1
12772297

I have a 99 KIA Sportage that is running badly. It is stalling

Customer Question

I have a 99 KIA Sportage that is running badly. It is stalling about 1/2 mile from home. Recently replaced fuel tank, fuel pump, idle air valve and MAF. Both O2 sensors. Also spark plugs and I seem to recall wires about a year ago. It always throws P0101 when it is cold but not when it is started above freezing. Recently got a P0301 but that is probably because it is running so badly. Clearing codes does not affect performance. I am wondering about the cat. The O2 sensors seem to be getting similar values. TPS seems to be working. The throttle position graphs without any obvious cutouts.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello
Check for exhaust leaks before the O2 sensor as if this has been experiencing an exhaust leak then it will have been running very rich as the sensor will see the extra air pulled in as fresh / lean fuelling and be adding fuel to compensate.
this can lead to catalyst failure as the extra fuel can re-light inside and melt the catalyst
The best way to find an exhaust leak is to run the engine from cold and feel around the exhaust joints with your bare hands - you'll have about 30 seconds before it all gets too hot and you should feel any escaping gas blowing over your fingers
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hi
do you still need help?