Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

Kia Sorento: ***** ***** a kia sorento 2006 we replaced the valve

Customer Question

i had a kia sorento 2006 we replaced the valve cover gasket and the do not start now
we check the spark is good compression is good new battery change the new spark plugs again because the old ones are flooded with the fuel
Category: Kia
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your concern today. Please rate my assistance after we have concluded chatting.
Do you have the cam and crank sensor plugs connected correctly? They are very similiar. Have you checked all connections that were unplugged, and check the fuses?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we have checked the fuses we have checked the connection not only once but twice, took the manifold out second time to make sure the connecter are plugged in right.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
Are you showing rpms on a scan tool or on the tach when you are cranking it. Also which side valve cover gasket did you replace?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we replaced both sides of valve covers gaskets we did not touch the timing belt at all, it does have the rpm moving when you crank, spark is good, compression is good,
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
Have you tried spraying starting fluid into it to see if it will try to start? That would indicate no fuel is being supplied to the engine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes we did spray the fluid and it does not start, we pulled the plug in cylinder one and the plug is flooded with gas.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
That does not make sense, since if there is crank signal there is rpm signal. If there is rpm signal there should be spark unless a fuse is blown or the coils are not getting power. Need to make sure all the ground wires that bolt to either the top of the intake or the back of the intake are connected. You may need to use a test light and verify that there is power to the ignition coil connector.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ignition coil is working because there is spark, ground wires are connected, the fuses are good, only thing we notice I there is too much gas coming in the cylinders.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
What happens if you disconnect the air flow meter sensor? It is located at the air intake. Maybe some debris got on the sensor wires.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have swapped the air flow sensor with a different Sorento that I have same sensors did not make any difference.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
I am out of suggestions. I am out of suggestions. I will open this question back to other experts. Please let me know what you find when the problem gets resolved. Thanks.
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 1 year ago.
Hi there. Just trying to help. You might have already done this, but I would double check the coolant temperature sensor and its connector. You see, if the circuit is open between the sensor and the computer, the engine temp signal will go to a default setting of -40 degrees Fahrenheit, which will make the computer open the injectors longer than necessary (think "choke"), thus flooding the engine. Kindly accept and rate my answer now if you think the information I've provided has helped you solve your issue. Otherwise, please reply. Best Regards.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We did check the temp sensor and natter affect changed the sensor too.
I'm sorry that didn't work. Other than that, I would have to compare actual values to standard engine parameters in order to formulate a diagnosis. Do you have access to a scan tool capable of reading engine data, not just trouble codes?