K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Asian Import Specialist, AA in automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade
68360881

Kia Optima EX: Am working on 2011 kia optima GDI knocking

Customer Question

Am working on 2011 kia optima GDI knocking noise in middle of column there are wires coming out of some type of sensor what is it

Category: Kia
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.
Hello, how many wires and what color?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Tight spot 3 to 4 wire one brwn/blk stripe & yellow wit blue stripe & plain yellow

Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.
thanks, ***** ***** colors look like they match the steering wheel heater switch, which wouldn't knock. I'm going to post a diagram of the column below and see if you can tell me the area.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/103900598/ACE%20-%208.pdf
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What u thank is the noise

Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.
It's either the electric power steering motor or it's U joints. Usually the U joints on the shaft go out before the motor does. Since you wouldn't be able to hear popping of the EPS motor without a load on it I'd recommend replacing the lower shaft U joints first.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I took ujounts assy. Loose from upper steering column noise still there every time I center the steering wheel I here clunking noise just only when I center the wheel thank u so far for your advise

Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.
Jimmie I'm going to open this back up to other experts to get a second opinion for you. Someone should be with you shortly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Another expert has not contacted me yet