Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest
Experience:  ASE master tech for 40 years
3506196

Kia: 2004 kia optima 2.4L. Lost power while driving. seemed

Customer Question

2004 kia optima 2.4L. Lost power while driving. seemed like transmission. car is now in my driveway. it will barely build speed and go up hills. it was a suspect transmission(i was told maybe locked torque converter, however, with the car in neutral, it will only build to about 2500 rpms. If you floor it from that point, it will actually loose rpms. So, then i was told most likely culprit was catalytic converter, but just found out there are 2. I dropped the exhaused behind Cat 1 and cleaned out the inside and removed all the honeycomb, reconnected the exhaust, same problem. No power. So, i was reading that maybe the second could be clogged....
Questions:
1. Does this sound like the right track?
2. Is the second converter welded in line or bolted. Can i unbolt and remove the guts and see what happens?
3. I do not want to drill holes and do pressure tests, so what if I drop the exhause behind cat 1, and start it and see if the problem goes away. If it does, wouild that mean that cat 2 is clogged....
Category: Kia
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.
good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist I would drop the pipe from the exhaust manifold and take a short ride and see if the issue is still there. yes, I think you are on the right track the other converter is welded Roy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ROy, i just dropped the exhaust and tried it. it seems ok now, i didnt drive it far.

Can i rmove the heat shield on the second cat, cut it open with a dremel, or large drill bit in several places, removed the insides , then patch the holes with JB weld? is there a way to not have to mess with cutting and welding.....

Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.
I advise against it. I would just replace the converter to repair it correctly. if you get the front pipe assembly, just release the pipe from the rear and replace the whole unit. there is no way to repair a clogged converter. Roy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Roy, the car has 250k miles, a huge dent in the door, and am just trying to get a little more use of it for a few months. It is not worth dumping money into. I thought i could open it and remove the honeycomb and close up the hole and put the heat shield back on.\

Strapped for funds and am looking for a workaround.

Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.
I would not open it up as you definitely will need to weld it back together. jb weld will never hold. remove the pipe assembly and see if you can access the clog from the rear section. Roy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok, ill try that. stand by. ill do the review and rating in the am.

Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.
ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Roy, i CANNOT get the two nuts off where the exhaust from the back of converter to tail pipe is bolted with the flanges. I also cannot drive the car with the front undone due to noise, and it wont make it to a repair shop connected.

If i cut the bolts off behind the nut, will there be a way for me to seal it back up, or maybe run up to the local shop and have it welded?????

Thoughts?

Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.
do you have a torch??? thats what we use when we cannot loosen rusted nuts
if you have to cut, then replace with nuts and bolts
Roy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i sprayed a lot of pb blaster, and just dont want to use open flame. I think i could cut them off with a dremel. What do you think? would a good dremel and several cutting wheels work?

Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.
yes it will.
Roy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ROy, ill be finished bothering you shortly. I got one bolt cut. I cut it off behind the nut. Question. Is the bolt THREADED in the flange or is it just a bolt that goes through with a nut. If it is threaed, ill never get it out.

So, after i cut the other one off, will the back exhause pull away, or is it threaded inside the flange hole?

Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.
most likely pressed into the flange. if you cannot hammer it out you will need to drill it out. then you can use a nut and bolt to re attach
please dont forget to rate me
Roy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

which flange, the first or second or both. i dont understand how this stupid bolt is applied. Is it threaded into the back exhaust pipe flange, and if not, why cant i pop the back exhaust pipe and flange OFFwht looks like less than a half inch of bolt., stud or whatever. Are you all allowed to talk on the phone, and Ill include your tip here. I have 2 stupid bolts kicking my rear end.

Iam i not beating on it hard enough to pop it loose so that i can just pull the back exhaust pipe to the rear OFF the bolt or stud.

Again, the question is: Is the bolt or stud threaded through the back exhaust pipe flange? That is all i need to know. If it is, i CANT drive it out thoward the front of the car.

Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.
ok, as I stated before, it is pressed into the pipe. if you cannot hit it out then you have to drill it out and install a nut and bolt.
if you had some heat, it would help release the press. you may need to cut it clean with the flange and drill out the remaining stud.
Roy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

there is NO WAY that what i am looking at is pressed through 2 flanges. NO WAY. NOTHING is pressed into any pipe.

Never mind, ill rate you, give you your tip, and figure out something else.

Thanks for your help.

Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.
can you post a picture???
Roy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok, i sent 3 ictures(some uploaded more than once, sorry) the first two is what the bolt/stud head looks like where the Front pipe is connected to the rear(just behind converter 2). The other the opposite side, where i cut the bolt off behind the nut.

I thought if i cut it that i could simply pop the rear pipe and flange off what was left of the bolt but it wont budge. What i need to knkow is IS THE BOLT THREADED THROUGH THE FLANGE ON THE REAR PIPE. id ont see how if the bolt was pressed in from the other side. If i can simply get the rear pipe disconnected, then i have the entire front pipe with converter, can take it somewherre to get the bolts out, hollow out the converter and BOOM, its done.

Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.
no, the bolt is not threaded through the flange.
Roy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

you mentioned the bolt is pressed in . It is not, actually it passes through the rear pipe flange and is THREADED into the front pipe flange. It is not pressed in.

Anyway, thanks for the assistance. Appreciate it.

Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.
please dont forget to rate me
Roy