K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Asian Import Specialist, AA in automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade
68360881

Kia Sorento LX: I have a 2005 Kia Sorento. The AC was making

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Kia Sorento. The AC was making a whirring sound when I accelerate. The sound has stopped and now the AC doesn't cool at all. What parts need to be replaced to fix this?
Category: Kia
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.
Hello, it sounds like the compressor may have failed. You'll need to have the freon level checked and see if the clutch is not engaging to confirm this. If the compressor did indeed fail then the compressor, receiver/dryer and expansion valve will need to be replaced as well as have the system flushed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It was making the whirring sound for quite some time. When I accelerated the sound sped and when I decelerated, it showed down. What was causing that?

Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.
The internal in the compressor and as engine speed increases it will get louder
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.
wear in the compressormy apologies
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.
The additional parts I mentioned replacing are due to metal fragments from the worn compressor getting into the system.