Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Kia rio: I have a 2009 kia rio-ls and it has a rough idle and

I have a 2009 kia rio-ls and it has a rough idle and is misfiring. The code reads p0302 and I changed out the plugs, air filter and the coil for cylinder 2--no change. I like to do most car work myself and am not sure where to go now. It happened about 10 minutes after my wife filled up the gas tank. The gas station said they have not had any complaints
Category: Kia
Expert:  Dan replied 11 months ago.
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help get your problem solved. If problem was fuel related all cylinders would be misfiring, not just 2. Since coil and plug has been replaced this would mean engine internal problem or injector which is the most likely of the two. You can swap injector with another cylinder to see if misfire follows it, if so replace injector. You can also do a compression test to verify cylinder 4 has about the same compression as other cylinders, most parts stores will barrow out a compression tester for free. This will verify engine internals are good. Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help. thanks.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

how easy is it to replace the injector? should I be able to do it myself If i can replace the coil?

Expert:  Dan replied 11 months ago.

It is a 1 hour job book rate so something you can easily do. Here are replacement instructions for intake manifold which also include removing fuel rail so you can replace injector so only follow the parts you need to. let me know if you have more questions. Thanks Greg.

-

https://db.tt/ThJKg4lY

-

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

The instructions don't show the injector--is it below the fuel rail? and I assume there is 1 per cylinder.

Expert:  Dan replied 11 months ago.
Correct, the injector is below/behind the fuel rail and there is 1 per cylinder. Manual does not have instructions for injector itself so I gave intake manifold replacement since that is as close as it gets. Let me know how it goes or if you have more questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thank you very much.

Expert:  Dan replied 11 months ago.
No problem, make sure to let me know if you run into questions at all. Thanks again and have a great night.
Dan, Technician
Experience: Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

one more--which is cylinder 1? when I am looking at the engine is it on the right-driver side or the left, passenger side?

Expert:  Dan replied 11 months ago.

Correct, it is the injector closest to passenger side. Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks.