Eric N
Eric N, Technician
Experience:  Kia Professional Elite, ASE A1-A9 L1 L2 Certified. 15 years dealer experience.
34559540

Kia Sorento: XXXXX XXXXX took her kia sorento to dealer for oil

My wife took her kia sorento to dealer for oil change in the morning, after she got to work they called saying they forgot the dip stick and she needed to return to dealer. well a few weeks after that it was making a funny noise so she pulled into a mechanic shop. they checked the oil witch was 4 quarts low, so they topped it off. Now I have to add 2 quarts every week, there is no visible sing of a leak and the car does not smoke, but she says it runs funny some times. I really think dealer never put oil in and messed up the motor. But still it doesn't leak or smoke. Where's the oil going????
Category: Kia
Expert:  Eric N replied 11 months ago.

Eric :

Hi. First, I don't think they didn't put oil in it. If they didn't the motor would surely be seized. And the dealer probably would have told her not to drive it and they would have got it with the tow truck and brought it back to put oil in it. With that being said, if the oil is disappearing and there is no leak then the only place it can go is to be burnt and out the tailpipe. I am not sure how many miles are on your Sorento, but the engine has a 100,000 mile 10 year warranty. S I would recommend you bring it back to the dealer, or a different dealer, and tell them the engine is using oil. Let me know your thoughts on this please. Thanks, Eric

Customer:

Already did, and they said it had slug in the motor. makes no since to me. Took it to another dealer and explained what has happened and they said take it back to the dealer that did it in the first place. Too me, if there was slug its the only thing that saved the motor. I guess this is what you get with kia (Brand New car with payments and worthless. So if its burning oil,WHY NO SMOKE?

Customer:

How would you go about taking care of this , when the dealer points the finger the other way? Im not a master mechanic but I have rebuilt ford and chevy motors, and to me with no dip stick they cant say 100% that it had oil in it, because that is the finale step in changing oil. Check level and put it back in.. Thanks Richard

Eric :

KIA has a customer assistance hot line and a field representative that handles such issues.

Eric :

I do agree it is possible that they left the oil out I can not say with certainty. I will also say I have seen KIA engines be very sludged up when people go to about 10-12,000 mile oil change intervals. I am not sure of your maintenance history. Also I do know that using the wrong oil filter can cause oil pressure issues, and engine failure.

Eric :

Here is the number for the Kia assistance line: Exclusive, Toll-Free Kia Assistance Line 1-800-333-4KIA (4542)

Eric :

So to go about this, you may need receipts that show oil changes, and then call the KIA customer service, and tell them what happened. They will contact the dealer service manager and the field rep and decide how to proceed. The rep can authorize or deny work to be done under warranty.

Eric :

Hope the info helps. Let me know if you have any more questions. Thanks, Eric

Eric N, Technician
Experience: Kia Professional Elite, ASE A1-A9 L1 L2 Certified. 15 years dealer experience.