john aka eauto
john aka eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  15 years foreign and domestic shop owner and technician

Kia Serento LX: 2008 kia sorento engine light came on this

2008 kia sorento engine light came on this mornig while driving down the road only got 2 blocks from my house at a stop sign and pushed the gas pedial and the car had very little power I could push the pedal to the floor and no excelaration. I turend around and went home. my husband went out and started the kia and drove it around the block and no problem did fine , but engine light is still on.
Hi . Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.The check engine light comes on when the on-board computer detects a fault in engine driveability or performance, transmission control system or transmission, or the emissions system, and a fault code is set and stored in the computer. Faults that can set the check engine light can range from a vaccuum leak, engine mis-fire, low engine compression, faulty sensor such as O2 sensor or other engine sensor, hydraulic pressure loss in transmission, transmission shift solenoid, open/short in wiring harness, emission evaporative system leak, or one of over a hundred different reasons.
The only way to know what set a fault code and turned the check engine light on is to have a diagnostic scanner hooked up to the on-board computer and read it for stored diagnostic fault codes. Many auto parts stores will do this service for free- (like auto zone)check with you local parts stores. If none in your area do, then you will have to take it to a shop and pay to have the computer read for stored fault codes.

Without knowing the fault codes numbers, it would be irresponsible to guess as to the cause as there are hundreds of possible causes.

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. John aka eauto
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I didnt care about the check engine light, my question is why am i pushing the gas pedal and can push it to the floor and no exceleration !

5 minutes later started the car drove around the block and it did fine. I am afraid to try and drive anywhere why would my kia lose excelertation

likely the engine codes for the engine light will answer this question, it could be a few things can we get the code scanned?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

will it be fine to drive 2 miles to autozone to get it scanned, and can you tell me the problem by the scan codes they my give me,

yes it should be fine,,, and yes I can
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the throttle possition sensor is what showed to be the problem. we had that replaced about a year ago . at that time the Kia was still under warrenty so I do not know the cost. Is this something that should go out often? and do you know the price ? it is a factory item....o' Rileys doesnt have it.

3.3 or 3.8 v6?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it doesnt show on door or say on engine where can i look to find out what liter it is

they are about 125 dollars for the PART they are somewhat common to fail..i would call the service manager and question why the replacement part failed so quickly and see if kia is willing to warranty it
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

last question for you sorry to take up so much of your time, but if i buy it is it a easy replacement i can do myself, if they are not willing to dot it,

it just unbolts and unplugs of the throttle body pretty simple repair
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks so much so i should be able to handle it myself from what your saying, all i have to do is locate it unbolt it unplug it, rebolt new and plug back in right no adjusting

that's it