Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.

Kia Sorento LX: I have a 2006 Sorento. It drives fine but

I have a 2006 Sorento. It drives fine but when making a 90 turn the steering wheel will not turn back on it's own. Thoughts?
Hi,my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you with your question.
You are saying when making the turn,there is no power steering when turning the wheel back correct?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, that is correct. We have to manually turn the wheel back to center.

Ok the issue that you are describing is the steering gear/rack and pinion is internally failing and loosing the pressure it has to have to operate the power steering. This is a fairly common failure and replacing the rack and pinion will solve the issue.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is that a DIY repair or into the shop we go?

This is a tough job that requires a bit of labor the steering gear runs the width of the front end of the car. I would suggest letting a shop handle this one.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Well since my husband just replaced the power steering pump that was perfectly fine, I agree. Into the shop it goes.

Thank you for all of your help!

No problem thank you.
Keep in mind also that you can respond back to this question at anytime after rating positive if you need further assistance thank you.