Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.

Kia Sorento EX: Mike, I have a 2013 Kia Sorento with the same

Mike, I have a 2013 Kia Sorento with the same starting problem as a previous owner. Whenever my brake pedal is stiff my car will not start. Of course the dealer can’t duplicate it and it is under warranty. From previous readings it seems that the brake switch might be faulty and if that’s the problem what should I do.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 6 months ago.
Hi,my name is XXXXX XXXXX X will assist you with your question.
Is the check engine light coming on at all?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Yes, but all idiot lights come on as if the car is going to start but does not. I was showed an alternate method of starting which involves holding the button in without stepping on the brake. This methods works but sometimes requires repeated attempts.

Ok. Since holding the button in gets the vehicle started,this is in fact the brake switch that is causing the problem. Since the vehicle is under warranty,this will likely require leaving the vehicle at the dealer a couple days do the vehicle can not start for them.
Mike Kelly, Mechanic
Experience: 17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Situation: STRANDED, alternate methods does not help. Idiot lights come on, bells & whistles blow, selenoids clicking but no ignition. I tried not being put in this situation but all I got from the dealer was:" We can't duplicate the problem and were not getting any fault codes." What do I do now??

Tell me if the vehicle will start in neutral?
Ok there is a recall on this problem and I'm not sure why the dealer didn't tell you this,but they are supposed to replace the switch under the recall. Do this while sitting in the driver seat without putting your foot on the brake push the start button one time then left off,then push it again but this time continue to hold the button for about 5-10 seconds and it will start. This bypasses the switch. Until this is fixed you will likely need to do this each time. Remember during this process do not put your foot on the brake until after it starts.
Mike Kelly, Mechanic
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Yes, this is the alternate method that I was referring to earlier. Foot off break, push once, XXXXX XXXXXght in button comes on. Push and hold second time, XXXXX XXXXXes to green, hold for 10 to 15 seconds. However, this method does not always work and must be repeated before ignition will occur. Yesterday morning it did not work and 1hr later I called Kia Roadside assist for a tow.

The dealership is closed on Sundays so it was towed to a storage facility and will be delivered Monday. My only fear now is that the car will just start up as if nothing ever happened and again I will be told: " We can’t duplicate the problem and the computer does not give a fault code" I did not get try to engage the system in neutral because I was busy having the car loaded and did not return to my desk.

You mentioned a recall on this switch, are you sure that it is for the 2013 Sorento? The dealer did mention a recall for a switch but I was told that it was for the earlier models. It is frustrating and somewhat of an embarrassment watching your new vehicle loaded onto a tow truck while co-workers tell you to get rid of the thing. How can I force the dealership to get to the heart of the problem and for once fix the flaw that in this ignition system?

The recall was originally for the earlier models and then was extended to the newer models as well because of the same issue. The recall was more issued not for the starting issue but because the switch can take out the brake lights while driving which can cause the vehicle behind you to crash in to you. The only option you have is to leave the vehicle with the dealer until it messes up or try to go up the chain and raise hell until they listen. I mean surely they can and are smart enough to understand that this guy doesn't get his car towed up here for no reason.