EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Technician
Experience:  Kia Professional Elite, ASE A1-A9 L1 L2 Certified. 20 years dealer experience.
34559540

Kia Optima: Please I drive a 2011 kia optima and would like

Please I drive a 2011 kia optima and would like to change the brake pad
Its the EX model with 4 cylinders, online I'm seeing turbo charged, super charged and I dont know which to get for my vehicle

Eric :

Hi. Your vehicle may be turbo charged and is not supercharged. You should purchase the pads for the turbo charged 2.0L Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX know if you have any further questions. Thanks, Eric

Customer:

Hi Eric, is it possible that if i purchase a turbo charge pads, it would'nt fit?

Customer:

on the model I mentioned, is there anything like non-supercharged or non-turbocharged

Eric :

On your model year Optima the 2.0L only came with turbo. The optional 2.4L engine was not turbo charged. As long as the pads are for 2011 2.0L then the pads should fit.

Customer:

what of that of 2012, would the same be so?

Customer:

Remember, its not an American spec/vehicle

Eric :

I do understand it is not American spec, but the 2011 -2014 should have all the same engine options.

Customer:

I'm saying the vehicle was bought in Nigeria

Customer:

Just want to be sure the information you providing isn't peculiar to the specs built for america

Customer:

are you there please?

Eric :

Yes. What website are you looking at for purchasing your parts?

Customer:

www.carid.com

Customer:

I'll go ahead and post the link asap

Customer:

http://www.carid.com/2012-kia-optima-brakes/ebc-yellowstuff-full-race-brake-pads-4210556.html

Eric :

Ok. hold on one sec...

Customer:

alright!

Eric :

I just looked up the pads you are interested in and entering your model, 2011 ex 2.0L turbo charged this is the pads that it calls for

Eric :

Customer:

mine is 2012 I just figured...

Customer:

not 2011

Eric :

the info you entered says 2011. but same thing

Customer:

I noticed the factory brake pads aint so effective so I'm looking for something much better

Customer:

would you recommend the yellow stuff brake pad over the factory pads?

Eric :

Remember that going to a race will be a very hard material and may not be as effective until they start getting some heat in them.

Customer:

really?

Customer:

what of these

Customer:

http://www.carid.com/2012-kia-optima-brakes/ebc-redstuff-ceramic-brake-pads-4210551.html

Eric :

Also being very hard, the factory rotors will start to wear out before the pads themselves will

Customer:

i just want a very effective brake pad

Customer:

I ran into another car cos my brake could'nt hold the car quick

Customer:

also when i match the brakes at high speed (70mph) the steering seems to vibrate/wobble

Customer:

i don't really use this car

Eric :

The wobble is because the front rotors are warped

Customer:

its less than a year old and less than 7000miles

Customer:

I don't understand what you mean by warped

Customer:

how do i stop that?

Eric :

If you really want to replace the pads then just use a decent ceramic pad and not a full race pad.

Eric :

Warped rotors mean they are out of round. To fix that you need to replace the rotors or bring them to a shop than can cut them straight again.

Customer:

really!

Customer:

so it isn't a brake pad issue then...

Customer:

what do u think of these as a replacement rotor

Customer:

http://www.carid.com/2012-kia-optima-brakes/ebc-upr-series-replacement-brake-rotors-4041736.html

Eric :

Yes. The shaking of the steering wheel is from the rotors

Eric :

Those should be fine. I would just get a good middle of the road matching set of pads and rotors and you should be good.

Customer:

I already purchased these:

Customer:

http://www.kiapartsdepartment.com/parts/2012/Kia/Optima/EX/?siteid=216393&vehicleid=378916&section=BRAKES

Customer:

the last item on page 1

Customer:

and the first item on page 2

Customer:

for the rear and front brake pads respectively

Eric :

I personally dont think that there is anything wrong running the KIA factory equipment. Personally, I would just have the rotors that are on there cut, and use the pads you just purchased and try that.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

I always prefer replacements

Customer:

or do u suggest i buy a KIA factory rotor?

Customer:

what of the rotor, the 8th item on this page

Customer:

http://www.kiapartsdepartment.com/parts/2012/Kia/Optima/EX/?siteid=216393&vehicleid=378916&section=BRAKES&group=&subgroup=&component=&searchText=&startRow=11&maxRow=10

Eric :

Depends what you want to do. If you are going to race this car then yes, you would want aftermarket rotors and a good hard brake pad that can absorb lots of heat. Since you say you barely drive it, I would prefer a nice factory rotor with midgrade pads for good stopping performace and yet they will still be quiet and not wear the rotors prematurely

Customer:

each time i do, i love driving on high speed

Customer:

and i would like set of pads that would stop my car quickly even when I'm at 80mph quickly

Eric :

I understand but you can't exceed the design performance of the vehicle.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

so your recommendation is: factory pads and factory rotor

Eric :

That is my recommendation. The factory rotors and pads are more than enough to stop the vehicle. Adding performance brakes are going to be waste of money and possibly no gain in stopping distance.

Customer:

the rotor got worn in less than a year of infrequent driving; do you still advice i go for the factory rotors or purchase performance rotors?

Eric :

Actually the rotors don't get warped from lack of driving. They get warped from performing very quick stops. Like you said, going 80 and slamming on the brakes WILL warp a rotor. If you want to consistantly do that, then yes I would suggest a better rotor.

Customer:

what of the other one I sent to you

Customer:

Customer:

do u recommend these?

Eric :

I would say those would be fine. But use a factory pad so you can still stop during normal driving conditions. Not pads set up for full race.

Customer:

ok...

Customer:

that's what i would do then...

Eric :

I think you'll be happy with that.

Customer:

thanks for the advice...

Eric :

Your welcome. In the future if you need any advise on installing them you can come back and request me.

Customer:

I'm thinking if your certain that the problem is from the rotor, i can cancel the order i placed for the brake pads and replace with the rotors i sent to you

Customer:

whats your advice?

Eric :

Yeah. Pulsating while braking is definatly from the rotor not the pads. With 7000 miles I am sure the factory pads are fine, but its up to you if you still want to replace them. The rotors will fix the pulsation

Eric :

Any other questions for me?

Customer:

that would be all for now...

Eric :

Ok thanks. Have a good day!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Please this rotor has a lot of holes where as my vehicle has only 5

The rotors are universal and will fit several lug nut patterns.