K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  AA in automotive Technology, 15 years in the trade
68360881

Kia Rio: how can i tell if there is damage to the interference

how can i tell if there is damage to the interference engine in my 2005 kia rio in which the timing belt has failed. i can only turn the crankshaft a short distance and it stops completly,then i can turn it freely in the other direction an then stops dead again.
Category: Kia
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.
Hello, the easiest way to test for damage is going to be to replace the belt and perform either a compression test or cylinder leak down test.

The stopping you have when turning the crank each way is a piston hitting a valve. That is common and expected when a belt breaks and things go out of time.

From experience with these motors I can tell you 90% of the time when the belt breaks it damages some valves and occasionally will damage the pistons as well.

If I can assist you further just let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

how do i get the crankshaft to tdc if i can"t get it to move that way? understaning that i am on a low fixed income how would you recommend i procede with this problem, we really need this car to be fixed

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.
The easiest way is to remove the cams. Place crank on TDC the reinstall cams and belt I'll post information on the here.
If you get everything back in time and find no or low compression on any cylinder you'll need to pull the head to check the piston tops and valves. If the pistons are fine but you have bent valves you would probably do best to have a machine shop estimate to repair the head and compare that to the price of a good used head. Ebay has these pretty cheap quite often.
If the valves have cracked the pistons you may as well just search for an engine to swap. Ebay and this webiste are good sources.
If you run into any issues try to retime it just reply back and I'll be glad to assist.
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: AA in automotive Technology, 15 years in the trade
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it might take a few days for me to do the work you have recommended that i do. how can i eb sure to reach you personally, and not another random expert

Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.
You can either bookmark this page in your web browser or look to the top right when you log into Just Answer and click on "my questions"