K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Asian Import Specialist, AA in automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade

Kia Sedona EX: I am told I need to replace the Shifter Assembly

I am told I need to replace the Shifter Assembly and Brake Switch in my 2006 Kia Sedona. Are these things a do it your selfer can tackle?

Hello, neither of these jobs are terribly difficult. It takes about a half hour to swap the brake light switch and roughly an hour to change the shifter. I'll post that information below so you can see what's involved.

I would like you to know there where a few recalls regarding brake light switch replacement and re routing a wire harness for it. If the dealer didn't address this you may want to print it off and bring it to their attention. That work should be done at no cost to you.

Brake switch recalls

The brake light switch just unplug, has a jam nut to loosen and screws out. Click here for location info

If you're having problems with the brake lights not working or the shifter not wanting to come out of park It could very well just be a bad brake light switch or the associated wiring. I would really suggest hitting them hard on that recall.