George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Hyundai Certified and 15+ years as an ASE Maser Tech
13574682

Kia Optima: I have a 2002 Kia Optima with the dual overhead

I have a 2002 Kia Optima with the dual overhead cam. Flatrate572 helped me out the last time. I have replaced the crankshaft position sensor to a factory Kia sensor. while doing this work I noticed the timing belt was loose so I went ahead and replaced it. everything is fine except for a vibrating noise coming the engine. The timing is on the marks all the way. What I have figured out is the balance shaft for the oil pump is out of sync thus causing my noise. I have look at the manuel for fixing this problem and it does not line up with my engine at all. How do i set this engine up to fix this problem?

Hello I will help you with your question,

The oil pump/balance shaft sprocket has three position where the marks line up but only one is correct. You need to tear this back down until you have the crank and cams lined up and remove the tensioner. The rear cam may spring off its mark. If you spin the oil pump sprocket it will settle close to the correct revolution and then move it a couple of teeth to its mark. YOu can check this by removing the bolt that does not hold anything located about 6 inches from the front of the engine just above the oil pan rail. Insert a screwdriver and try to turn the sprocket, if you cannot spin it then you are in the correct position.

Please let m e know how I can help you with this

Thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok I have not been able to find the bolt or plug that the screwdriver goes in. when you say the front of the engine are you referring to the timing belt area. engine is torn down.

The front is the belt area and the bolt that plugs the hole you use to "feel" the balance shaft is about 6 inches back from the front. The bolt does not hold anything and has a 14mm head. Remove this and slip a short screwdriver in to feel the balance shaft. If it only goes in an inch or so when the sprocket is on its mark you are on the wrong revolution. The screwdriver should go in about 3 inches if you are on the correct revolution of the shaft.

The shaft is down and to the right of the sprocket (geared to the sprocket) so that should help you see where it is in the block.

Let me know if you can find the bolt

Thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

got it!!!!! it is about 8 to 12 inches back and directly under the exhaust manifold. at this time I can not put a screwdriver into the hole not enough room for it. I tried a coat hanger and could feel it turning. So I will have to rig something bendable to catch the flat edge of the shaft. Thank you for the help because the book is wrong.

Glad you found it, a short screwdriver does fit but what ever you can use to feel the shaft will work. Try spinning the sprocket, you will see that it naturally settles in the correct position and then you can use the hole to feel the shaft.

Let me know what I can do to help

Thank you