mr. b. rector
mr. b. rector, kia master tech
Experience:  KIA master tech obtained in 2008. Fix it right the first time always.
52912490

Kia Sorento LX: Kia Sorento 2008

Kia Sorento 2008 A/C stopped  before it suddenly stopped accelerating, Engine extremely hot

Category: Kia
Expert:  mr. b. rector replied 12 months ago.
Hello, when you say extremely hot, is the temp. gage showing hot? We can communicate back and forth as many times as needed until your vehicle is diagnosed and or repaired. Please do not rate my service / answer until you are satisfied I have answered your questions. Thanks Mr. B
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Yes the temp gage was showing hot

Ok, after letting cool down, start the vehicle up and check to see if cooling fans are coming on, a quick way to do this is to turn on a/c and the fans should come on within 30 45 seconds, check that out and get back with me, Mr. B
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Yes the cold air came thru the vents pretty quickly.

ok, did the cooling fans come on under hood?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

I didn't hear anything other than the vents in the vehicle

You will need to raise hood and look for the fan blade movement, it is important for me to know if cooling fans are coming on to properly help you diagnose the issue. Mr. B
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

We lifted the bonnet and my husband said yes the fans came on

Great, now we need to check the coolant reservoir for proper amount of coolant, can you do that please?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

The reservoir is full but it was low yesterday and my husband filled it with water

ok, only if the vehicles engine is not severe hot, remove the radiator cap and check to see if coolant is visible in the radiator and close to the top. When coolant gets low in the radiator it is hard for the system to pull coolant from the reservoir. It sounds as if you have a coolant leak or a mechanical issue that is allowing coolant loss through the exhaust system. Check out if coolant is low in radiator, and fill if it is then put radiator cap back on. Then make a good visual inspection upper and lower engine and see if you can spot the coolant loss. Also check for any white smoke coming out of exhaust with engine running. Just do not run hot. Mr. B
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Coolant was low in radiator, the cap was extremely loose. No visible signs of a leak and no white smoke. The A/C is very cold, yesterday it was not working right before the loss of power.

ok, was the vehicle worked on recently, or have you just purchased vehicle?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

We purchased the vehicle 2/13. It has not been worked on recently

ok, well we need to verify that the cooling system is holding coolant, coolant will not evaporate like water would. After topping off coolant in radiator, leave cap off, start vehicle and let run with a/c off. Being careful let the vehicle run until fans com on. then if coolant drops, fill to top, then put cap back on and once again check level in reservoir. Let vehicle run for quite some time while monitoring temp gage. This coolant has to be going somewhere, so lets do this and see what we come up with. Again monitor temp gage, Mr. B
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

There are two caps in the from. The right says 'engine coolant' the one on the right is a steel pressure cap. The steel pressure cap was loose and area showed signs of wetness. Put over a galleon of water in the LEFT. Ran the vehicle on the highway at 70 mph. Temp never even rose above the halfway mark and the air conditioner blew ice cold.

The Husband.

great, it sounds like you were losing coolant from that area. Well I would recommend monitor this coolant level closely for some time. Also remember you put straight water in according to previous statement, so before the colder weather sets in I would get the coolant to specification. If you have any more questions about this vehicle or any other just come back to justanswer.com, Thanks Mr. B
mr. b. rector, kia master tech
Experience: KIA master tech obtained in 2008. Fix it right the first time always.