Mike V.
Mike V., Technician
Experience:  I have 25 years experience working on cars. I am also a factory trained Subaru and Nissan Tech.

Sometimes while driving spedometer drops to zero & then bounces

Sometimes while driving spedometer drops to zero & then bounces between that & speed I am driving. I also get a hesitation like the car wants to stall when this happens. What could be wrong?
Hello and thank you for your question today!
What year and model is your kia please?
Is the check engine light on when the vehicle is running or when the speedo fails?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

2004 Rio, light not on.

Ok, thanks for the info.
This indicates there is a problem with the actual speedometer. If the speed sensor was the problem it would throw a code.
What needs to be done is it needs to be test driven with a scanner hooked up. Then when the speedometer start acting up, the scanner should still see the speed. This would mean that the speedo is the problem.
This will or can also cause the engine and transmission to perform or shift wrong.Causing the drivability issues you are feeling when driving the car.
At this point it would be best to have a shop test drive it with the scan tool to be sure it's the problem, but this is the most common issue.
Hope this helps!
Please be sure to let me know if you need further assistance,if not, please be sure to rate my answer. If you are on the free trial, a rating is still required. Your card will not be charged. Thank you.