Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master certified, 30 years experience. Auto troubleshooting, electrical , ABS, SRS, EFI system
2947720

Kia Optima SX: I have a 2003 kia optima se 2.7 automatic, a

I have a 2003 kia optima se 2.7 automatic, a week ago I had my mechanic replace my ac compressor with a new one, and it works but if I leave the car park over night it drains the battery. I took the battery to autozone and they cheked and was good then they test the alternator and it good then I took out the ac relay to see if it was causing the problem and its not and every time the battery is low when I start the car the ac turns on, do you have a idea what it is?

Hello and welcome to Pearl/Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. I will do my best to help you with your question. Thank you for trusting us with your concern.

As long as the alternator is charging the battery when the engine is running. You will want to check for a current draw. Normally that is done by disconnecting the negative battery cable and hooking up an amp meter in series with the circuit.

…..

Also can be done with a 12 volt test light. You just go from the battery terminal to the cable end, (disconnected) and see what the draw is or if the light comes on.

….

The recommendation for maximum parasitic drain is around 30 mA (0.030 amp). A typical drain today actually falls into the 7-12 mA range, even though some vehicles do approach the maximum. Multiply the drain (in amps) by the time (in hours) the battery sits without being recharged. The result is the amount of AH consumed by the parasitic drain. The actual drain may be small, but over time the battery grows steadily weaker.

……

If so, then you will want to start pulling fuses one at a time until the light goes out, (or meter goes down) and that will be the circuit in which the draw is in.

Just remember to keep the doors closed, (or dome light disabled) and the hood light unplugged,

.

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation.

.

If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

.

Thanks