Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.

Kia Soul: Left side of car is very solid on bumps, but right

Left side of car is very solid on bumps, but right side (front) makes noise (ker-plunk) on small bumps. I think the front strut is bottoming out with no one in passenger seat. Drives me crazy.

welcome. My name isXXXXX will do my very best to assist you with your

The issue that you are describing is either the strut is now worn out and has little resistance or the strut mounts are worn out,either one will cause the issue that you are having.Raise the vehicle with the weight off of the strut and check for leaks and excessive bounce from the strut or movement from the mounts.Most warranty do not cover struts and mounts as they are considered a normal wear and tear maintenance part.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The Kia Soul only has 16000+miles on it, so wore out parts would be a remote possibility. I was under the car Friday, and couldn't see, or find anything.

Since I wrote you, car has been inconsistent with noise. Sometimes I hear the ker-plunk, sometimes I don't.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I wrote a reply before, but apparently you didn't get it. I should have told you that the Kia Soul in question only has 17,000 miles on it. Worn parts a highly unlikely. the is a noise only hear on small bumps (I think when the wheel drops). I've been under the car, and can't see anything out of place. I'm at my wits end.
Even at the current mileage the struts can still fail,the need to be stress tested with the vehicle on a lift.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm now waiting on to see what the dealer wants to do, since the vehicle is still under warranty. Thanks.

No problem thank you.