K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Asian Import Specialist, AA in automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade

Kia Sorento SX LTD F: Kia Sorento 2014, twice today while driving

Kia Sorento 2014, twice today while driving in city traffic after stopping at a red light tried to accelerate, NO acceleration!! the vehicle would gradually increase (at a snail's pace) until about 40 mph. When I got out side of town, the only way I could increase to 60 mph was using the cruise control button to accelerate and even this was very painfully slow and would not go above 60. So pulled over turned vehicle off, waited a couple of seconds, turned vehicle back on voila acceleration was back. When I came back to town, going about 40, then at a red light same blasted thing again. So pulled into a parking lot, turned off, restarted acceleration is back. This is a very dangerous thing when you cannot accelerate, especially at intersections.
Hello, this is indeed a very dangerous condition. It can be caused by failure of the accelerator or throttle position sensors or corrupted file systems in the vehicles computer. I would advise not driving the vehicle if possible. Please contact your local kia dealer they will tow it and perform the repairs or ECM update at no charge to you.
I'm sorry you're having this issue and honestly there is nothing you can do yourself to remedy it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the reply. I believe it is in the computer system too. I just read a post on the KIA forum for 2014 Sorento where another owner has the same issue today. So there is definitely an issue with the 2014 acceleration.

Yes, KIA has issued some bulletins about updating the software for issues similar to this. Usually it takes around 30 minutes to an hour to check everything and perform the update.