EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Technician
Experience:  Kia Professional Elite, ASE A1-A9 L1 L2 Certified. 20 years dealer experience.
34559540

KIA Sportage LX: KIA Sportage 2006 - Headlights wont turn

KIA Sportage 2006 - Headlights won't turn off. Daylight running kit installed about a year ago. Any suggestions? Thanks

Eric :

Hi. The DRL module that was installed should be located on the right side strut tower under the hood.

Eric :

You should try disconnecting the module connector. If the lights go out the module is most likely faulty. Let me know what happens, or if you need more info. Thanks, Eric

JACUSTOMER-fiwhu0kg- :

Motor drawing is very small and confusing. And it doesn't seem to represent what's under my hood. There is a DRL box (kit) by the engine fuse compartment. It's connected by a number of wires. Green wire attaches to a slot in the fuse compartment, red wire connects to a fuse (20) located outside the compartment and then continues on to one of the terminals at the front of the fuse compartment. Other wires I assume connect to the lights.

Eric :

The drawing shows where the DRL are from the factory. So its possible since yours were add-on the module got mounted near the fuse box. Does the DRL box have a connector you can unplug on it?

JACUSTOMER-fiwhu0kg- :

Not that I can see, unless it's inside the box. It's a Hamsar DRL Module. Should I pry the box open?

Eric :

I'm going to see if I can get info on that DRL module. In the meantime you can try to remove the 20 amp fuse and see if the DRL will go out.

JACUSTOMER-fiwhu0kg- :

Should I be removing the fuse while the car is running or when it's off and the lights remain on. Tried to remove the fuse, but it wouldn't budge. Guess I'll have to try harder. I have noticed a couple of other things in the meantime. If I disconnect the negative on the battery in order not to drain, then hook it up again when needed, the lights seem to work properly for a while then stay on after a while. I'm trying to see some sort of pattern that may help.

Eric :

Ok. Thats a good idea checking for a pattern. But I have a feeling the issue is with the control box. If you can remove the fuse when its off and the lights remain on. Then if the lights go out with the fuse removed that would indicate a control box failure.

JACUSTOMER-fiwhu0kg- :

Eric, Sorry for the delay. I tried the latest test and the lights remained on when fuse was removed. My wife is insisting that I take the car in for repair. I was happy with your suggestions, but the problem is unresolved and I can't spend any more time with this online. Not 100% satisfied although no fault of yours. Not sure how to rate the service under these circumstances.

Eric :

Ok. I appreciate your honesty. I am sorry I don't have more info for the aftermarket DRL part. I hope I at least gave you GOOD service here on Just Answer, even though we did not come to a precise conclusion to your problem. And I hope that you would consider using Just Answer again in the future! Thanks, Eric