Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master certified, 30 years experience. Auto troubleshooting, electrical , ABS, SRS, EFI system
2947720

Kia Rio5 SX: Kia 2012 Rio. Car started OK, died on the highway

Kia 2012 Rio. Car started OK, died on the highway while going 80 km/hr. Would not start. After 1/2 wait, started. A few days later, engine failed again at a busy intersection. Mechanic says testing suggests its a faulty crank sensor. Doesn't seem to make sense, as failure happened while engine going. Can you come up with a good diagnosis?
Category: Kia
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome, Super mechanic here. Thank you for trusting us with your vehicle concerns, I will do my best to help you with your question.

.

Do you know if there were/are any trouble codes stored that may point to the CKPS?
.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not sure of the meaning of "trouble codes" and "CKPS". I do not know how the mechanic came up with his "crank sensor" explanation. The only other information I have to offer is that a warning appeared on the

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not sure of the meaning of "trouble codes" and "CKPS". But I do not know for what reasons the mechanic came up with his "crank sensor" explanation which makes no sense to me. The only other information I have is that a message "Check Gas Cap" came up on the dash screen after the engine died. The cap was checked and was in the usual normal closed position.

Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, CKPS, (crankshft position sensor).

Description

Crankshaft Position Sensor (CKPS) detects the crankshaft position and is one of the most important sensors of the engine control system. If there is no CKPS signal input, the engine may stop because of CKPS signal missing.
.
.

Trouble codes are what gets stored in the vehicle's computer to let us know where the problem(s) are.
.

The gas cap message would not have anything to do with the engine stalling, that would normally be a dominant sensor, (such as the crank sensor)
.

..

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation.

.

If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your explanations. Are there ways to confirm a CKPS diagnosis other than replacing the sensor and hoping for the best. A nerve-wracking process. Internet sites report changing the CKPS, having the engine work for awhile, then die again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

In case my first attempt at followup did not make it through to you:

Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
The only way to really test it is to watch the engine RPM on a scan tool when the engine dies. I haven't seen a lot of problems with the new ones though and most times the best test is to replace it, sorry.

.

..

.

.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

O K. This is my final followup before giving you a terrific rating.

If the diagnosis advice you have given me is correct, since this CKPS is such a crucial device for auto function while in motion, my conclusion is that it speaks poorly of the automobile company that designed and employed that device. My wife and I both had life threatening breakdowns apparently because this device had intermittent failures.We are considering getting rid of our Kia Rio automobile although it is almost new.

So my question is: where can I look for statistics to compare Kia to other automobile manufacturers on this and similar critical device failures. Does it make sense to sell the car because there is a good chance its a dangerous lemon.

Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
I have to agree with you. I would rather they make them with some sort of "backup" system(s), like an aircraft would normally have. It just seems that with all of the electronics these days, (compared to years ago) that more problems can occur. Sometimes the slightest glitch in a sensor can be a major problem, as you know.
.
.

Also, with stats, they normally are discussed in forums by vehicle owners but there is a Government site that takes complaints and may have some stats on different vehicles. Here is a link to it.
.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
.

Thank you and come again, anytime.
.

Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience: ASE Master certified, 30 years experience. Auto troubleshooting, electrical , ABS, SRS, EFI system