Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, 32 yrs. Diagnostic specialist
13677702

Kia Spectra EX: I have a 2005 Kia Spectra Ex and when you turn

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Kia Spectra Ex and when you turn it on and push the button on the shifter to take it out of park, it will not come out of park, unless you push on the brake really hard, is this the gear shift sensor? How do I replace it and where is it located on the car. If it is not this part, can you tell me what it would be. And if this is something I can do myself. I have to watch how much I spend.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.

Randall :

Hello, my name is Randall. I will do my best to assist you with your question. what you are describing is likely a failing brake light switch. That switch not only controls the brake lights but also sends a signal to the solenoid at the shifter so the solenoid will kick in and release the shifter,. the fact you have to push hard leads me to the brake light switch as there really is not other relationship from not getting out of park and pushing hard on brake pedal. the switch is mounted up high on the brake pedal. have to work under and up under dash high on brake pedal. Not hard to change persay, just hard getting to it. I am not in parts but book time is .4 hours and the parts shouldbe under $30 +/- please do not quote me on this, If the picture goes through, the arrow points to it. I suggest getting the part, looking how it mounts on the bracket IF you are going to try yourself. Thsi is really all I can come up with

Full Size Image

Randall :

soory pics do not send sometimes

Randall :

[IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT][/ALT][WIDTH]108.83720930232558[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE]

Randall :

just not going through, have to use my description

Customer :

I just changed the brake light switch over the weekend, the back light kept coming on by themself and once the switch was changed out, this stopped? What else could it be?

Randall :

well, you did not mention this, I can not think of anything else except maybe the switch is out of adjustmnent or defective. Ther si no relationship from pushing hard and releasing the shifter other then the brake light switch