Eric N
Eric N, Technician
Experience:  Kia Professional Elite, ASE A1-A9 L1 L2 Certified. 15 years dealer experience.

Kia Sorento EX: Hello. I have a 2005 Kia Sorento 3.5L AWD.

Hello. I have a 2005 Kia Sorento 3.5L AWD. Ironically 2 days after having an oil change 3 months ago, I started to feel hesitation in the engine while driving. No check engine light has come on. I took it to 2 mechanics who both ran scans and because the check engine light isn't on there's no code to determine the issue. It backfires, hesitates, and makes a loud boom sound but sporadically not always when driving. It's starting to get worse. My belts are all newer. I haven't had plugs replaced.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Eric N replied 1 year ago.

Eric :

Hi. How many miles are on your Sorento? Thanks, Eric

Customer: 109,886
Eric :

Have you had the timing belt replaced recently? it is recommended every 60k. It almost sounds like its running with the timing belt a tooth off. Let me know. Thanks, Eric

Customer:

Belts came out ok. Dealership wants $132 to run another diagnostic test but I feel that's pointless if they do the same check the other 2 mechanics did.

Eric :

I mean the timing belt. Not the belts in the front of the engine. The timing belt is located behind the front engine cover and controls the crankshaft and camshaft timing.

Customer:

aka serptine belt?

Customer:

do you think it's just ironic that this started happening with 2 days after an oil change? wonder if there's anyway they goofed up something. cracked hose even? so check the timing belt...I'll do that

Eric :

No serpentine belt is the drive belt. I will see if I can get a picture of it to show you. I can't really think how it would be related to an oil change. I would check the oil level for the heck of it, then I would just look around the engine and see if maybe they spilled oil, onto a sensor, or ignition coil.

Customer:

ok thanks. I know they overfilled the rear differential fluid to above the level it should have been. I called them about the issue when it started occuring they tried to sell me into having my front fluid changed. I said forget these guys I'm going to a reputable place. They also did something unrelated which dropped my confidence in their staff unfortunately

Eric :

Ok. Let me know if you need any more info.

Customer:

if you find the picture for an example that would be great

Customer:

I can't access the picture can you email it to me?

Eric :

Ok. I just sent it but the Just Answer servers are acting a little wierd. try clicking on the link and see what happens

Customer:

yeah says webpage cannot be found

Customer:

got it thanks. I'm afraid of getting my plugs replaced for $400 and issue still occuring

Eric :

Yes, but the plugs do need to be replaced every 60k.

Eric :

I have to step away from my computer for a few moments. I will reply to any further questions you have in a few... thanks...

Customer: In your experience would the plugs just suddenly start causing the backfire noise and hestitations? Doesn't that typically happen slowly over time? If it was the plugs wouldn't the check engine light be on? Again, planning on replacing plugs either way but hoping to find the true issue if its not the plugs
Eric :

In my experience spark plugs would not start causing this concern. Worn spark plugs won't set the check engine light unless they are worn enough to cause a misfire. I do not believe they are the only issue you have, but like you said, they need to be done with your mileage. And there is no sense putting the cart before the horse, so to speak. If you need regular maintenance items, they should be done first. Let me know. THanks, Eric

Eric N, Technician
Experience: Kia Professional Elite, ASE A1-A9 L1 L2 Certified. 15 years dealer experience.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hi Eric. Just wanted to give you an update on what's going on with my Kia Sorento in case you were wondering. Thursday I brought it into the dealership. Plugs & wires replaced. Drove away $700 later that night only to have the car start slugging & literally shaking while driving between 20-30mph. Also, the check engine light started blinking on and off. I immediately drove it back to the dealership. They ran the OMD and it threw a page full of codes. They replaced the vacuum cap/seal? I guess 3 of them. Drove home car was fine. Drove car on Friday same thing happened. 20-30mph started shaking and hesitating and check engine light blinking on/off. Took it to the dealership again. They have kept it now because all they know right now is that there is a vacuum leak but they can't find out where it is. Not sure how long or how much $ this will be but it's odd because the car actually drove smoother, quieter after the plugs/wires were replaced like a new car. However; the check engine light and issue at 20-30mph was not something I was experiencing before. If you want I'll let you know what they find out. Thanks.