peterpete190
peterpete190, Other
Experience:  Over 15 years diagnosing and repairing various automobiles at a dealer and independently.
14928985

Kia Spectra EX: The brake lights in my 2004 Kia spectra do

Customer Question

The brake lights in my 2004 Kia spectra do not work when the headlights are off, how can I fix them?
Category: Kia
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 1 year ago.
My name is Pete and I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.

Your vehicles brake lights are fed voltage through a fuse through the brake light switch to the brake lights themselves,they share a common ground for their ground signal.If the brake lights only operate with the headlights on and all other rear lights function normally with the head lights on or off this may be a loss of voltage through the fused circuit that feeds the brake light switch and brake lights causing this issue here.This is an odd type of fault here but if you have a multi meter for testing electrical I can see if we can walk through with testing brake signal components to see if we can locate this issue here.I don't see this as a brake switch issue but if for some reason the electrical contacts in this switch are weak or corroded it may cause this here,we would need to test further here to locate this fault.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Pete,

Sorry for it taking so long to get back with you. My son has a voltage meter and is going to stop by in the morning. This is how the lights are working/not working: The tail brake lights don't come on at all. When I turn on the head lights, the tail brake light bulbs come on so I know they work, but; when you press on the brake pedal, the brake lights don't brighten; although the one in the center of the back window above the trunk works fine. All the other lights on the car work the way they are supposed to. I checked the fuses inside the car and in the engine compartment and they all appear to be fine. Once I have a voltage meter, where should I start? I've never used one but my son says he knows how to use it.

Thanks,

O.k.,the first check is to locate the 15 amp stop fuse and test to see if this fuse has battery voltage on it when this fault occurs.If it is less then around 11 to 14 volts then this is a voltage feed issue to the fuse causing this.Let me know what you come up with here.

Thanks Pete

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete