Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, 32 yrs. Diagnostic specialist
13677702

Kia Rio: 2004 kia rio 4 cly. I pulled head off and now I do

2004 kia rio 4 cly. I pulled head off and now I do not know where the cames nckofff pins go on the I and E

Randall :

Hello, my name isXXXXX will do my best to assist you with your question When looking at the cam lobes on #1 cylinder. both intake and exhaust cam lobes, when you have #1 cylinder at TDC or top dead center the lobes should be pointing near "up" on both cams. You then put the gear with the E on the cam near the front of car and one with I to the back of the car with both the I and E lined up with the back cover marks as shown

Full Size Image

Randall :

be sure you rotate the engine BY HAND and turn it a few revolutions BY HAND before trying to start so you know you are in time and nothing is hitting

Customer:

are you saying both pin are on the top ?

Randall :

yes, but I am also saying to double check your work. Look at the first cylinder cam lobes, be sure they are pointing more upwards

Randall :

I am unsure why the bad rating,. I am here to help and will do so. I am trying my best to explain. What do you need. ?

Randall :

The proper procedure requires marking the cams before disassembly. This was not done, so I am trying to tell you the way how to get them back on correct. This includes both pins up, yes, but please double check to be sure not 180 deg out so look at the first cylinder cam lobes, If pointing up, pins up, then i sent the diagram as to what pulley goes where

Customer:

Iam sorry about the rating you are doing a good job