john aka eauto
john aka eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  15 years foreign and domestic shop owner and technician
6149662

Kia Sorento LX: I HAVE A 03 KIA SORENTO. I HAVE A P1330 CODE

I HAVE A 03 KIA SORENTO. I HAVE A P1330 CODE AND THE CAR WILL RUN GOOD AND JUST LOSE ALL POWER SO I HAVE TO PULL OVER AND CUT THE CAR OFF AND RESTART IT. IT RUNS FOR ABOUT 10 SEC AND THEN DOES THE SAME THING
Hi . Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.
DTC P1330 Spark Timing Adjust Malfunction

General Description

The ECM computes ignition timing in response to the signals from several sensors. The timing is fixed during the start up phase. However, when the engine has been started and the vehicle is driven away, the ECM computes the optimum timing base on the engine speed, load and temperature. The ignition timing is fixed BTDC 5 and DTC P1330 is set when connecting ignition control terminal of Data Link Connector and ground. If you disconnect Ignition control terminal of Data Link Connector and ground, the DTC is erased automatically. Make sure the check for short circuit to ground between Ignition control terminal of Data Link Connector and chassis ground when DTC is set.

There has also been a service bulletin for that type of concern. Here is a link to a PDF file that tells what it states. You just have to click where it says to "click here to start download"

BULLETIN

But here is the test for that code.

Terminal and Connector Inspection

1. Many malfunctions in the electrical system are caused by poor harness and terminals. Faults can also be caused by interference from other electrical systems, and mechanical or chemical damage.
  2. Thoroughly check connectors for looseness, poor connection, bending, corrosion, contamination, deterioration or damage.
  3. Has a problem been found?

YES - Repair as necessary and go to "Verification of vehicle repair" procedure.

NO - Go to "Control circuit inspection" procedure.

Control Circuit Inspection

1. Check for open in harness (1) Ignition "OFF"
(2) Disconnect Data link connector and ECM connector.

graphic
View Full Image

(3)Measure resistance between terminal "19" of Data link connector and terminal "A23" of ECM harness connector.

Specification: approx. below 1 Ohm

(4) Is the measured resistance within specifications?

YES -Go to "Check for short to ground in harness" as below.

NO -Check open in harness between Data link connector and ECM connector. Repair or replace as necessary and the go to "Verification of vehicle repair" procedure.
  1. Check for short to ground in harness. (1) Ignition "OFF"

graphic
View Full Image

(3)Measure resistance between terminal "19" of Data link connector and chassis ground.

Specification: infinite

YES -Substitute with known good ECM and check fro proper operation. If the problem is corrected, replace ECM and go to "Verification of vehicle repair" procedure.
NO -Check for short to ground in harness. Repair or replace as necessary and then go to "Verification of vehicle repair" procedure.

Verification of Vehicle Repair

1. Monitor and record the Freeze Frame Data for the DTC which has been diagnosed.
  2. Using a Scantool, clear the DTCs.
  3. Operate the vehicle within conditions noted in the freeze frame data or enable conditions.
  4. Monitor that all readiness test have been verified as "Complete"
  5. Are any DTCs present?

YES -Go to applicable troubleshooting procedure.

NO -System is performing to specification at this time

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. John aka eauto