Mike V.
Mike V., Technician
Experience:  I have 25 years experience working on cars. I am also a factory trained Subaru and Nissan Tech.

Kia Sportage LX: I have a 1999 Kia Sportage with an oil leak.

Customer Question

I have a 1999 Kia Sportage with an oil leak. When under the car, oil is leaking from a hole in what looks like the transmission housing(?). It is just to the rear of where the oil pan is bolted in with a bracket. Oil drips from this hole which doesn't look like it has threads for a bolt. Any ideas on what could be going on?
Category: Kia
Expert:  Mike V. replied 11 months ago.
Hi Sir or Madam Thank you for choosing JA, I will do my very best to assist you with your concern.So this is leaking behind the engine oil pan or transmission pan?Just want to be clear here, also, if you can take a pic and post it here I can likely be more accurate for you.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I can post a picture later today. I am away from the car right now. I am assuming it is the oil pan. It is the pan that is most forward under the car. However, the leak is from behind and above where this pan is attached. It attached to a curved piece and the hole is in the curved piece.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 11 months ago.
Ok, it sounds like the rear main seal is leaking. This is normally the only engine oil that is going to come out of the bell housing for the transmission. If it is not engine oil, then it may be the front seal on the transmission. From the sounds of this it's not a hole that would normally have a bolt in it and there isn't suppose to be any oil, engine or transmission coming out or even in that area.If you would like to post the pic later that is fine,but from your description I suspect this is the problem.If I am not on at the time you post, I will get an email and respond as soon as possible.Hope this helps!Thanks
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I have tried to upload pictures, keep getting an message that I am not authorized.... I have sent two emails to customer support. I will upload when the site will let me.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 11 months ago.
Sorry for that, the site has been experiencing some issues today.