Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Kia Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector & Kia Diagnostics/Repair
18617752

Kia Soul Sport: The Outside Temperature Display on my 2010

The Outside Temperature Display on my 2010 Kia Soul shows two horizontal lines.
What needs to be done to remedy this situation.
Bought the car yesterday and neglected to check this feature.
Hello! Welcome to the site! Thanks for coming! I'm Ron Z. I'm here to provide as much info and insight as I can, to best answer your question.

When the outside temp display is not functioning properly, this is most commonly due to a faulty Ambient Temp Sensor. On this vehicle, the Ambient Temp Sensor is mounted to the front bumper frame, towards the driver's side (see image below). Carefully inspect the electrical connector and as far up the harness as you can looking for any loose, broken or damaged wires. If the visual inspection checks ok, replacing the Sensor should solve the problem.
graphic

If you need more help, please use the "Reply" tab to continue our conversation - I'm happy to answer follow-up questions! If you have no further questions at this time, Please remember to Rate My Service. Thank-you!
(Rating the answer does NOT close this thread - follow-up questions are always Free, even after you Rate!)

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I purchased and installed the sensor.

Still nothing but two horizontal lines where the temperature should
Display.

Dealer wants to reprogram the Soul to this sensor.
I cannot believe this is necessary.

There is a very strong chance that the display does need to be reset/recalibrated to the new sensor. Just make sure to triple-check the wiring harness to the sensor for any damaged wires. If it looks ok, unfortunately, reprogramming/calibration very well may be required. Sorry.