Dave Nova
Dave Nova, ASE Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. 25 yrs experience
11042942

Kia: Dave, What is the procedure of changing power steering

Customer Question

Dave, What is the procedure of changing power steering and Rack and Pinion on 2002 Kia sedona? Do you have access to those materials? Thanks

Category: Kia
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for trusting me with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your Kia problem.

I do have these instructions, but are you replacing the rack due to binding in the steering?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Power steering makes noise and it is hard to steer due to fluid leak from the pinion. Lines are also rusted on it so i decided to replace it.

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

Okay, just wanted you to be aware that binding in the steering is often due to the steering intermediate shaft, not the rack. If it is leaking, it makes sense to go ahead and replace the rack.

Removal
1. Raise front of vehicle and support with it safety stand.
2. Remove wheel and tire.
3. Pull out cotter pin and remove nut.

graphic

4. Separate tie rod from steering knuckle with a puller or pickle fork.
Notice: Replace nut temporarily so that screw threads do not become damaged

graphic

5. Loosen the bolts from the return oil pipe and pressure oil pipe and disconnect return oil pipe and pressure oil pipe.

6. Remove intermediate shaft from the steering rack and linkage.

graphic

7. Loosen the bolts and nuts from the steering rack brackets.
8. Remove slowly steering rack from right side of vehicle if necessary.

Disassembly

graphic

1. Mark alignment of tie rod, jam nut, and tie rod end as shown.
2. Loosen tie rod jam nut, and then remove tie rod.

Assembly
1. Install tie rod jam nut and align with mark made before disassembly.
2. Install tie rod end and rotate to align with mark made before disassembly.
3. Tighten tie rod jam nut.
Tightening torque: 50 - 58 ft. lbs. (69 - 78 Nm, 7.0 - 8.0 kg-m)
4. Install tie rod to knuckle arm.

Replacement
1. Install steering rack into right side of vehicle.
2. Tighten bolts and nuts to steering rack brackets.
Tightening torque: 55 - 69 ft. lbs. (74 - 93 Nm, 7.5 - 9.5 kg-m)

graphic

3. Tighten intermediate shaft bolt.
Tightening torque: 16 - 20 ft. lbs. (21 - 26 Nm, 2.2 - 2.7 kg-m)
4. Connect return oil pipe and pressure oil pipe and tighten bolts from the return oil pipe and pressure oil pipe.
Tightening torque: 17 - 26 ft. lbs. (24 - 35 Nm, 2.4 - 3.6 kg-m)
5. Install tie-rod into steering knuckle arm.
6. Tighten nut and install new cotter pin.
Tightening torque: 43 - 58 ft. lbs. (59 - 78 Nm, 6.0 - 8.0 kg-m)
7. Install wheels and tires.
8. Lower vehicle.
Dave Nova, ASE Technician
Experience: ASE Master Certification. 25 yrs experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks! This is exactly what i was looking for.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I got it all done and it is all good now except steering wheel is little croked to the left when you drive straight? putting that steering nuckle was a pain so don't really want to do it agan. How can i adjust this?

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.
You can adjust the tie rods to get the steering wheel straight. Ideally you should get a front end alignment. If you are pretty certain the tie rods were installed about where the old ones were, loosen the lock nut and turn the steering rod going into the tie rods. Turn the rod on the drivers side into the tie rod end. Turn the rod on the passenger side out of the tie rod end. Turn both sides evenly, do about 1/2 turn at a time and test drive each time to see if the wheel is straight.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks! I am going to do it right now..

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did it and it is like new now. :) did 2 turns on each rod and because it was too much had to do half turn backwards. Now all is nice and straight.

Thanks again

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome. Glad I could help. Please ask for me by name next time you need anything.

Dave Nova