Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Kia Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector & Kia Diagnostics/Repair
18617752

Hi I have a kia sedona 2005 and the engine light came on so

Hi I have a kia sedona 2005 and the engine light came on so I plugged in my code reader and read catalyst system efficency below threshold bank 2. Can you tell me if I have to replace the catalytic converter in the front of the radiater. thanks
Hello and Welcome! My name isXXXXX and I am here to try and assist you with your question.

Unfortunately, he Catalyst Efficiency for Bank 2 code is a very straight forward code pointing to a failing converter for Bank 2 (yes, the side of the engine closest to the radiator). The Oxygen Sensors measure the amount of emissions in the exhaust going into, and then out of the converter. When they see that the converter is not "cleaning" the exhaust enough to meet Kia specs, the Converter is deemed "below threshold" and the Efficiency code is set. Make sure there are no exhaust leaks in the system. Make sure there are no current cylinder misfires (skips or rough idle). If these check ok, replacing the Converter should solve the problem. Keep in mind, you will need a replacement converter that meets Kia specs. Those "universal" or "discount" converters sold at some after market parts stores do not meet specs, and will not cure this problem.
graphic

*** PLEASE REMEMBER TO LEAVE A RATING FOR MY ANSWER! RATING THE ANSWER IS AN IMPORTANT PART OF THE Q&A PROCESS! ***