Eric N
Eric N, Technician
Experience:  Kia Professional Elite, ASE A1-A9 L1 L2 Certified. 15 years dealer experience.
34559540

Kia Sorento EX: Working on a 2003 Kia Sorento with a 3.5 liter

Working on a 2003 Kia Sorento with a 3.5 liter V6.
Trying to remove old plug wires to right bank to replace. Extreme difficulty getting access to the back of engine. left valve cover off all of the intake and the coolant reservoir. Does the water pipe across the top of the engine also have to be removed?
Category: Kia
Expert:  Eric N replied 1 year ago.

Eric :

Hi. I don't think the pipe has to come out, but I have a diagram that may help you.

Customer:

THat would be great. It appears to me there is not room for the end of the wires to pass between the tube and the engine block. The end from the coil is the smaller and I have tried to pull it through there but it is tight. Would never get the new one in.

Eric :

I haven't tuned one of those up in a while, but if that is the case, you could possibly just loosen the bolt that holds down the pipe, enough to pry it out of the way a bit.

Customer:

Have considered that but am concerned about the seal. Is that a friction fit with an O-ring or is it a gasket?

Eric :

In the back is an o-ring seal. In the front is a gasket.

Customer:

That is what I thought. I am going to try and get it loose and out of the way and see what happens. I have never seen such an installation. Not MECH friendly.

Eric :

No they are not. Let me know how you make out, and if theres any more info I can get for you.

Customer:

I will. I do not think we are done chatting. Will your diagram to me any good?

Eric :

The diagram is a link above that I already sent. It shows the wire routing behind the intake. Could be useful

Customer:

I did not see the diagram. It is very small and faint. Will pull it up and enlarge. Thanks will be back to you.

Eric :

Ok.

Customer:

Did have to remove the water tube across the top and down the back. Got the wires in, now just have to get the pipe back together and the bolts in. The diagram was the key. Thanks

Eric N, Technician
Experience: Kia Professional Elite, ASE A1-A9 L1 L2 Certified. 15 years dealer experience.