peterpete190
peterpete190, Other
Experience:  Over 15 years diagnosing and repairing various automobiles at a dealer and independently.
14928985

Kia Optima: trying to change bulb for left turn signal; right

Customer Question

trying to change bulb for left turn signal; right one was no problem a few months ago; the left one seems to be installed incorrectly; the tab is visible when locked in place; when turned counterclockwise to remove, the tab is under a piece of metal which prevents the bulb from being removed; the bulb receptacle is loosened when turned to the left, it just won't come completely out to replace bulb, the plastic tab keeps it from being removed
Category: Kia
Expert:  Walt-mod replied 1 year ago.

I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 1 year ago.
My name is Pete and I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would ask to see if you still need help with this.

Does this bulb and bulb socket look the same as the one you have replaced in the past except that this one wont remove at all?

Is this a front or rear bulb you are trying to replace here?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I keep trying to remove the socket but can't; this is the left rear bulb; the right rear was replaced several months ago with no problem; again, the tab at the top of the socket seems to prevent the bulb from being removed to replace the bulb. turning counter clockwise will loosen the socket but it places the protruding tab under metal, the opposite of the right one. On the right when turned counter clockwise the tab starts under the metal and appears to the left to allow the socket to be removed; this is in reverse on the left signal.

O.k.,according to my info on this vehicle here this socket with the bulb should turn counter clockwise and release from the lamp assembly.It does show on one of the lights a locking tab (this may be a different tab then what you see on yours) and this tab has to be pressed/squeezed to release the socket to turn more for removal.

If this is not the locking tab then it sounds like when this bulb was installed in the past it may not have been twisted into the lamp assembly properly and this is why it is hanging up for removal.You might examine it closer to see if it is just stuck from being installed incorrectly and what needs to be done to release it from the lamp assembly.I apologize as I don't have any pictures of this available to post here.

I hope this info has helped,if you need anything else let me know before rating my help here,thanks Pete.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

this did nothing to help; just information from the owner's manual I had already read - will take to dealership and hope for the best

I apologize as my answer was based off of the info provided and without seeing the vehicle it is difficult to say for sure why this bulb/socket will not release on this vehicle here.If you want I can opt out and put this question back on the list to see if others can assist more just let me know.

Thanks Pete