Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, 32 yrs. Diagnostic specialist
13677702

Kia Optima: How do I update my navigation. My car has Infinity

How do I update my navigation. My car has Infinity package
Hello, my name isXXXXX will do my best to assist you with your question

sorry for the delay

the information is below

you need to go to mapnsoft.com and follow the information there, New updates are being released on Oct 1,2012

NUMBER 051

GROUP General

DATE December 2011

MODEL Borrego, Rondo, Sedona, Optima, Sportage, Sorento

SUBJECT: NAVIGATION MAP UPGRADE - CUSTOMER RETAIL

This bulletin provides information for certain Kia models equipped with a factory Kia navigation system. Kia owners will have the option to purchase a map upgrade directly from MnSoft (a Kia approved supplier) and can perform the upgrade themselves or have the dealer perform the upgrade in which case additional labor charges will apply. For customers who perform their own upgrade, MnSoft will provide the customer with map software and upgrade instructions. The Map Upgrade Program launch POP (Point of Purchase) material is being supplied to dealers and will provide complete information and will include 2 USB memory sticks pre-loaded with current maps.

Navigation Map Background Information:

Mapping data is purchased by the supplier in the 4th Quarter of every year. It is then "compiled" - parsed and re-organized so that it can interface with existing navigation software. Once the compilation is complete, the map data is integrated into the navigation system and then tested and verified. The entire process takes approximately 6-8 months. A new database made available to customers in July or August, is most likely from mapping data that was amassed in the 4th Quarter of the previous year.

NOTICE:
Map upgrade should only be offered to customers that have owned their vehicle for at least 1-1/2 years.

The version number of the navigation program is just that - a VERSION number. It is NOT a date. For example, version 3.07.06 is the version of navigation for 2011 Model Year Kia navigation products produced after October 2010.

Mapping data is NOT free. There are licensing fees that Kia and Mobis have to pay for the mapping data that are not inconsequential. To prevent unauthorized usage, the map update process REQUIRES an authentication code that can ONLY be distributed by MnSoft, the map compiler for Kia products. Without an authentication code from MnSoft, the map will NOT download. Kia (KMA) can NOT provide map authentication codes, and map authentication codes are unique to head unit and VIN - a map authentication code cannot be used on any system other than the specific VIN and navigation system device ID that is supplied to MnSoft for them to supply an authentication code.

NO mapping database is perfect and there may be some streets that are not on the map in some newly developed areas. If the customer has an issue of streets not being in the system, KMA Service can do an investigation if detailed information is supplied. The required information will include: City, street and house number, and whether the issue is with map display or setting a destination. Once the customer provides us with specifics we can do an investigation, and if necessary forward information to the map supplier for incorporation in future updates.